Acacia bowl with turquoise infill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sbwertz

sbwertz

This is my third attempt at bowl turning. The blank had a big crack and several small cracks that I filled with turquoise

Attachments

• IMG_2666.jpg
    IMG_2666.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_2667.jpg
    IMG_2667.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 437
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

It looks like you did an admirable job filling in the cracks, but I'm not too crazy about the color. Kinda turned it into a crack highlighter. I would have looked into charcoal or coffee grounds, but that's just an opinion.

sbwertz

It looks like you did an admirable job filling in the cracks, but I'm not too crazy about the color. Kinda turned it into a crack highlighter. I would have looked into charcoal or coffee grounds, but that's just an opinion.

I meant it to be a crack highlighter. To me a crack isn't a flaw, it's a feature!

bitshird

Beautiful bowl Sharon, nice job on the inlay, people don't realize how difficult it can be to turn a piece of wood with an open crack in it, your fill choice is great.

I like it... like you, I never worry about cracks in the wood, except when they come apart and I have pieces sailing around my head... something to avoid if you can.... I like the turquoise fill... it does highlight the crack, and shows off the wood very nicely. Good Work.

nava1uni

Sharon,
I really like the shape of the bowl. I like filling voids. In a fine wood grain I sometimes grind the stone finer and the blend, to my eye, flows easier. Your turquoise has a bit of green in it and I like that.

David Keller

Beautiful wood and a nice simple form! Crack filling seems to triple my turning and sanding time, so you're to be commended for ending up with a great finish like you did. Nicely done!

sbwertz

Nice one. What size is it ? i have been thinking of making some small wood bowls for shaving mugs. I like your contrast. Carl

The bowl is 5" across and 2.5" high.

Thank you all so much for the encouraging words. I made one bowl in a woodcraft class. Then I made a small walnut bowl for my father. This was my third try, and my first from a log blank. The first two were from purchased dry wood blanks. This one was from a small log given me by a friend. It was a bit green when I rough turned it. I let it sit in our very low humidity (16 percent) for about a month befoe final turning.

I just have a midi lathe, so I can't turn a bowl much bigger than this one.

Top Bottom