About to buy my first lathe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WManus

I am looking at getting into woodturning, with an initial plan to turn pens and small items. I am currently looking at Jet 1221VS. Thoughts? Also, what brand turning tools do you recommend?
Thank you, WManus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

William, welcome to the I.A.P. forum, it's great to have you join us. I would suggest that you check to see, if there's a turning club in your area. And if there is, you could join them at a meeting and get more info then needed. If you don't want to go that route, find someone close to you that does turning. And ask them to give you a hand with getting started,they could help you out plenty. As for what lathe to purchase, yes, a Jet 1221VS would be perfect. And what tools to use, you can buy a good set of carbide tools at Rockler's in a plastic case. And if you would prefer to use traditional turning tools, you will have to invest in a sharpening system. I use both, each type of tool has its benefits. Some people wouldn't purchase a carbide tool, even if their life depended upon it. They' re just stuck in the mud of traditional tools, and they don't consider using carbide tools as being a good practice. But, now that the carbide tools have been out as long as they have, they are getting more popular to use. Especially, for new turner's, because they don't have to be sharpened. So, the investment in a sharpening system isn't necessary, because you just rotate the carbide cutter or install a new one. Good luck, and enjoy yourself.

Len

magpens

Firstly, I'd like to extend a warm welcome to IAP !! :)

The Jet 1221VS is a fairly large lathe for turning "pens and small items".

If you are pretty sure that you will be wanting to "move up" in size to fruit bowls and the like, then it would be warranted.
But if this is your first lathe, I'm not so sure. . It might be advisable to get some experience before choosing your own lathe.

Many turning clubs and/or community centers can act as a good "trial ground" until you work out your real needs.
I tend to agree with Len that you would be well-advised to get some "hands-on" as well as verbal advice from such a group.
You will also be able to discuss the pros and cons of tool options, backed up by some practical trials.

Also, many school districts offer night school or weekend courses in woodturning and their instructors are usually top notch.

Last edited:
Great ideas and info above. But I'll tell you what I did and you can do with it what you want, you won't hurt my feelings. I've been turning on a large lathe for some years. Most of my turning was done for furniture legs and bowls etc. A couple of years ago, 2017, I got a wild hair that I wanted to start turning pens after seeing an add for PSI and visiting their website and viewing their free DVD. I bought the cheapest starter kit they had that included a lathe, the Penpal, and some blanks and all the stuff to get started. I will warn you though that the turning tool they supply is not adequate. Skip forward, I love turning pens and I'm still using the Penpal for smaller items like pens, coffee scoop handles and key chains. Won't handle much more and for the big things I use my very old (40 year old) big lathe.

So why spend a bit on a small lathe at first? I figured if I hated pen turning I first, wasn't out a bunch of cash and secondly, I could always sell it and hopefully just about pay myself back. It's hard to go from a table leg to a tooth pick. When this Penpal no longer works will I replace it? Not a chance! I'll be looking at what the other posters have suggested. But for first getting started it's been great and didn't cost me a bunch. The Penpal starter kit will have everything you need to get started but plan on spending more in the future for other items, probably a lot more like I've done.

As for tools, I prefer HSS but I also use Carbide at times. My HSS I've had since I bought my big lathe 40 years ago. I hope I never have to replace them but after lots of grinding and sharpening they're getting kinda short, if you know what I mean.
Pen turning is an absolute blast, I love it and keep going at it. It is addictive, some will say it isn't, but my feeling is that it is. Have fun, enjoy the hobby and listen to what is mentioned here. There is some great advice and you've gotten some of the best from the posts above.
Have fun and be sure to post some pictures once you've turned your first pen.

Jarod888

When I started out, I bought a jet 1018 variable speed. I used it for years for pens. It's a great lathe. Then one day I got a great deal on a nova comet 2, so I bought it. I used it and while it is adequate, it is definitely not as nice in the fit and finish as the jet is. Also, it isn't as heavy as the jet, and that makes a difference. So I picked up a jet 1221 variable speed during Amazon's black Friday sales. It is an amazing lathe and exactly what I wanted. It's heavy, we'll made and a real dream to work with. I leave the pulley on the fastest speed, and with the electronic variable speed and digital read out, I have plenty of range for pens. I can turn it way down to sand and crank it up to turn resins, corian and acrylics.

There are three things I dislike about it.
1. The belt cover is plastic and rounded. I prefer the squares, metal style of my 1018, but it is my understanding that jet was sued for patent infringement or something and had to change their design. Jet used to make a 1220 model that had the square headstock design.
2. The tailstock creeps, even when you crank down on the handle. You can remedy this by ordering a tail stock clamping nut from a member here, Rick Ferrel (don't quote me on spelling).
3. The tail stock quill has a short "throw", meaning it only extends about 2.5 inches. In reality, you only have about 1.5 inches of travel because of the "self ejecting" capability. Basically, when you have something in the tailstock like a live center or drill chuck, the length of the morse taper is such that it is long enough to self eject when you retract the quill into the tailstock. The "live center, or other tool" also doesn't fully lock or seat in the quill until the quill has extended about 1.25 inches. From that point the quill will travel another, roughly 1.5 to 2 inches. So it's rather short.
However, almost all smaller or midi size lathes have the quill limitation.

Overall, I would highly recommend the jet 1221. For pens, it is about perfect. It will also allow you to make bottle stoppers, peppermills and small bowls or platters.

I've looked at the laguna 1216 and I don't think it is as nice as the jet. It's biggest limiting factor is the 16 inch distance between centers. It is almost or over capacity for drilling blanks and that alone is the main reason it dropped out of contention. You can buy the extension, but that bumps the price up to over 1k, where you can get the jet for 699 when it's on sale, like it is now at woodcraft and rockler.

Another possibility, but approaching the 2k price range is the new powermatic. It uses an integrated vfd to step the 220 motor down to 110 household current. But, it's $1800 or so.

Good luck with what ever you decide, drop me a pm (private conversation) if you want to chat about the 1221 more.

jjjaworski

Welcome to the site and woodturning.
The New Mexico Woodturners group is a great bunch. They do have monthly meetings that will be worth attending when they start up again.
You can view their newsletters online and also get a list of club mentors from it for questions especially for local wood and tool sources.

I used to attend on a regular basis several years back but the 3 hour drive and other weekend commitments put an end to that.

Best of luck with your new experiences in woodturning.

EricRN

I am looking at getting into woodturning, with an initial plan to turn pens and small items. I am currently looking at Jet 1221VS. Thoughts? Also, what brand turning tools do you recommend?
Thank you, WManus
If you don't need the extra bed length you might consider the laguna 1216. I had it down to that and the jet you are considering and ultimately opted for the laguna. I think the motor is a bit more sophisticated in maintaining a consistent rpm under load. Also, it has options to expand with an add on that gives you 15 inch over bed capacity which may be helpful if you ever die side to turn bowls or plates. But the 1221 will serve you quite well too.

For tools, I'd get something good but not great (I.e., wood river, Sorby, hurricane, not Thompson). You'll chew up a lot of tool learning to sharpen them well (at least, I did).

Fish30114

I had a Jet 1221 VS and had all sorts of issues with it--also, contrary to most folks, I had a hideous experience with Customer Service at JET, I ended up opting for a larger lathe, a NOVA DVR XP, and I was always glad I had the size of it--no regrets--if I was looking for a smaller lathe, I would get the laguna 1216, but something that rides the fence so to speak and is a great lathe is the Laguna 18-36.

Ask if you have any questions--good luck with the new 'Rabbit Hole'

Top Bottom