Aberfanturning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello All

I have worked with wood most of my life mainly repairing and building wooden sailing dinghies but have always wanted to do more woodturning as I did some many years ago.

I researched how to make pens and after quite a long period I was finally producing pens with which I thought were good enough to sell. Luckily other people thought so as well because they bought them. I mainly make variations on the slimline but with different length tubes and comfort rings for thicker and definitely more popular pens. Another popular seller is one piece pencils made using a standard kit.

I also make single and double pen boxes in a variety of hardwoods. A great deal of what I make is engraved (Box and Pen) using a laser engraver and I try to provide a very personal service to my customers.

I live in Wales in the UK and most of the wood I use is Spalted/Burr etc of UK hardwoods which I find my customers like and I have a decent supply of.

I have looked at this forum and have gained some very good ideas and in the future I hope to pass on some of my experience (which has all been learned the hard way).

Sean

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Sean. Glad to have you here and thanks for joining us! Your experience will be welcomed greatly. Those that learn from experience have a lot to offer! :)

There are several on this forum from your general area and they are quite famous here - for their expertise and artistic work. It seems like you will fit in well!

I know that you will not need the following links but I do want to include them as part of the welcome. If you can use any of the information, then it is worth it. Your participation and contribution will be very welcome.

For the links - the first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
a warm welcome from over the pond

Yep, I guess there are a few ponds between Barnsley and South Wales:biggrin:

I've never been to Aberfan, but it is one of the places that many of our H&S rules were born after their terrible mining disaster.

Thankyou for your welcome

Thankyou to everyone that welcomed me to the forum I am sure this is going to be a very useful forum for me.

I read the articles on the Celtic Knot and now intend to make some myself. It is appropiate for me because 1. I live in Wales 2. One of my customers is the Celtic Manor Hotel.

When I am happy with a pen I will post it on the forum.

To people who do not know Aberfan had a landslide in 1966 killing 116 children and 28 adults which for a small community was devastating.

Now there is no mining at all in this area and there is beautiful scenery all around the area.

Sean

Top Bottom