Abalone Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bmac

bmac

A pen I did over the weekend, Elegant Sierra with pieces of Abalone epoxied on using the UV resin,
then built up the layers of resin and turned/sanded smooth. This UV resin is really fun to work with.

Bobby
Louisiana

Attachments

• Elegant Sierra Abalone Pen.jpg
    Elegant Sierra Abalone Pen.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 278
  • Elegant Sierra Abalone Pen3.jpg
    Elegant Sierra Abalone Pen3.jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 284
  • Elegant Sierra Abalone Pen4.jpg
    Elegant Sierra Abalone Pen4.jpg
    617.8 KB · Views: 269
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Please tell us more about the UV resin ... full brand name and full product name, please and thank you !! :D

Your pen is beautiful and I would like to do something similar, perhaps also trying watch parts.

Also, how did you do the black background for the abalone ? . Is it just paint over the brass tube, or is it a black fabric/tape layer ?

Thanks in advance !!

Reactions: DrD

walshjp17

I use AlumiUV from Alumilite. There are others but I found this one works for me for watch parts pens. I have also used Bondic which combines the UV resin and a UV light into a pen-like dispenser. I am interested in what Bobby uses.

bmac

Thanks for the comments, appreciate them. There are a lot of different brands of UV resin out their, but since I have only used the one I got just to see how it does, not sure if one brand is better than another. For this pen I put carbon fiber on the tube, but I think painting the tube black would work also. This type of resin does open up a lot of possibilities with out the hassle of using a two part type of resin.

Attachments

• UV Resin, UV light.jpg
    UV Resin, UV light.jpg
    728.2 KB · Views: 189

jttheclockman

I have 3 of these on the bench right now that I hope to get back too shortly. I will cast in epoxy resin (Liquid Diamonds) I like your outcome with this idea. Hope mine come out as well. Thanks for showing.

Top Bottom