AAW - Symposium

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerGarrett

Ok - so.....

I drove down to Louisville on Wedensday - and stayed with my friend from college. I then went and registered for the symposium/conference, and attempted to attend the events.

Folks - it was a mess. There were over 1800 people at this event, and they only expected 1000. The result? Unless you arrived 20 minutes prior to each event/demonstration - you couldn't get a seat, and 10 people blocked the doorway to the room. In other words - you couldn't see the demo, you couldn't get in a position to see the screen (projected from the cameras), and you couldn't hear the demonstrator.

I had to leave today - a day early - and ask for a refund of Friday/Saturday - due to inability to actually be physically admitted to any events I paid for. The events were great - I just couldn't attend them!

On the postive side -

The board member who spoke with me promised to refund the money and explained that they had over 800 people beyond what they anticipated. This was due primarily to the central location and the fact that people could drive to the event - on a whim. Also, it is the 20th anniversary of the AAW, so they had more people show.

The demos I saw were well run and helpful - if not poorly displayed by the camera work - by people who had no clue what they were doing. The exhibits were stunning, and the vendors and demos were great! I had a wonderful time. I am now a bonefied member of AAW - and have no idea what that means.

There was some maginificent wood at this show - some of it for fairly cheap compared to what you are used to. I also purchased an off-set lathe too rest - quite nice, and some buffing compounds. Got a few pen blanks from CSUSA - 10% off - and everything else was 10-20% off with free shipping if not in stock.

Saw Rich (Low_48) - who was introducing IAP members and others - as well as showing off pens. Didn't stick around for my turn!

Best,
Roger Garrett

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwish

I guess it was all a matter of when and where you were. I've been to a demo in every session with no problem. I also volunteered to run the cameras for 5 of the sessions, best seat in the house and I think I did as good of a job as possible with the rented equipment. I teach video productions as a day job so at least I had some background in what I was doing, most were just AAW members trying to give back some time to the organization. I think most did the best they could. It only became evident in recent weeks that attendance was going to climb to record numbers, by that point it was too late to change venues so there wasn't much to do unless they just restricted attendance. I think you agree that would have made people a lot madder. They did move the banquet from the host hotel to the convention center due to size in recent weeks. I attended the banquet, and although it was crowded, it was good food and a great time.

I did not attend the pen-turners get-together session because I had already promised to run the video for a friend that was demoing, sorry that I missed it but will plan on attending it next time.

They were a camera operator short today so I filled in for a basic pen-turning demo by Richard Kleinhenz. I think he said he was the moderator for the Yahoo Penturner group but don't know if he frequents here. It was very good and was well attended, and he did list IAP in his handout of resources. He didn't necessarily do things the way I always do them but he gave a good demo of basic techniques, and is scheduled for an advanced techniques demo for tomorrow.

Picked a lot of stuff from the usual vendors for 10-20% off and also saved on shipping. Picked up lots of interesting wood also. I make and sell a lot more kaleidoscopes than I do pens so making some contacts for nice 8/4 wood was good. Still have all day tomorrow before I head home, and to start making plans for Portland in 2007.

ken69912001

I too attended the symposium.It was really crowded.I was able to see a couple of demos. The exhibits were awesome.Attended the get together.Got some really good amboyna burl blanks for 2.00 a piece(15).

Gary Max

We where there on Thursday---spent most of the day shopping for the bargains---yah right. Spent way to much money---what's new??
Had a get time ---- heck I am going back today.
There may of been something I missed---LOL

smoky10

I guess the thing I enjoyed the most was the penturners get together. With all the great penturners there and the questions and answers made for a good time. I wish I had time to introduce myself to everyone and meet them all.

RogerGarrett

Review Part II

I reread what I wrote and read what Woodwish wrote, and I can see that what I wrote might have appeared to be complaining.

My intent was quite the contrary - so please accept my Mea Culpa.....

What I should have said was, due to the enormous popularity of the event and the unexpected number of people who showed up unannounced (no preregistration), the AAW folks ran out of programs for packets, videos for the new member registration process, had to hand-write your name on a blank piece of paper for your tag, and, due to having booked the rooms 3 years in advance, had no way to guarantee you could get into any one session unless you arrived 15-20 minutes early and were quick to get in the room following the previous demo.

The demos were VERY very good - run by experienced turners who knew what they were doing. I also felt that these guys had great rapport with the audience - lots of humor - lots of kidding - good interaction during and after the demos. [:D]

I WAS able to attend several sessions on Thursday - albeit, my third choices - such as how to make a baseball bat (which I already knew how to do) and making kitchen items such as pepper grinders, salt shakers (by the way - the camera work at this event was superb). I stayed in the same room for the immediate following of a demo for making crafts projects such as a tea candle holder and ring holder - all projects I can already do (the camera work here was sincerely attempted, but couldn't see the work until she figured out which camera and in which position to place the camera - and action had already been completed).

I couldn't get into even one bowl session - despite advanced planning and early arrival at each of the sessions. However, the vendors exhibits - where people were selling everything in the world you might want - featured many demos of bowl turning - and I think I was able to watch and learn quite a bit from these guys.[:D] I also bought a numer of items at 10-20% off (as I earlier explained). [:D][:D]

At the vendors area, I really liked the Elbo Hollowing Tool demo and having the designer/owner show me how he arrived at his design. Great little tool for precision hollowing of boxes/bowls - great idea and well designed - might consider purchasing one of those - especially for end grain work. I had a terrific discussion with the guys who sell the vacuum system - using a compressor and his designed venturi approach. Very easy to install and looked to be a terrific device.

I too was tempted by the $2 amboyna blanks - and many other great buys on wood - but I resisted my temptation to spend - primarily because I have lots of wood right now and don't have enough pen kits to warrant more of such.

I guess I want to say that the event was a very, very positive thing for me - just frustrated by not being able to get into some events that I really had planned to see (via the website prior to driving the 6 hours to get there). And - the refund of Friday (only) was a wonderful gesture by the board members - who are not to blame for the success of the symposium - rather - they are to be commended for their professional and sincere work. [:)]

I hope my first posting was not viewed as a complaint - rather - as an impressed person who simply couldn't get into the planned events due to over attendance. [xx(]

Best,
Roger Garrett

Rudy Vey

I too returned this afternoon from the symposium - really surprised how good the turn(!)out was!! Last night at the banquet they said there were some 2400-2500 attendees and spouses in the convention center - wow.

The dinner was followed by auctions, but Rich Kleinhenz and I decided to leave early and have a few brewskis together. The penturners get-together was, as I think, a good meeting, we had some 30-40 attendants and some of us stood up and discussed how they had made a special pen. Richard Coers (low_48 here at IAP) showed us his double-dovetail pen and I must report here that his name was the first one drawn at the banquet for one of the five Oneway 2436 lathes that were given away. BTW, the second one also went to a known penturner, Kurt Hertzog, one of the council members of the Pen Makers Guild. Wow, two of the big ones for penturners (but as far as I heard they do other stuff, too).

The trade show was great, everything what a turner may need was there, and one got mostly 10% - 15% off the normal price!! I had to carry my stuff in two runs to my car, mostly due to the weight of the wood and sandpaper I bought. Peter Steenwyk from Canada, he talked about his laquer finishing technique at the pen turner get-together, presented us some new type of laminated pen blanks. Similar to Dymondwood, but different colors and without the resin impregnation. I was lucky enough to talk to Pete for a while and bought a whole bunch of these super blanks. He and his business partner, Marc Solomon, are opening a woodturners store soon in the Toronto area and building their website at this time. They had quite some exquisite Cherry Burl, Birdeye Maple that make your mouth watery, never seen so much eyes - wow - wait what they can show us soon.

For those who do not only turn pens, there was one woodseller (Driftwoods, I think) that arrived late due to a broken down truck (they drove out from Washington state) and they sold Redwood pretty dirt cheap. I was lucky to score two pieces of it (8x8x10 and 6x6x8) for $15.

For me the most exiting was to watch the demonstrations of Hans Weispflog - an artistic master turner with excellent and unique techniques. As a matter of fact, I had met Hans as we both stood for ages in the reception of the hotel for check-in and we had talked for about 45 minutes or so, but not too much turning, but soccer.

The next morning I attended his first rotation, he was showing how to make his feature item, the Saturn Box. Wow again, I had never watched a master turner. And it was impressive. I was hooked, the next day, I watched Jacques Vesery and him doing their "Hans and Jacques Show", a slide show and hands-on about their colloborations (Hans turned a sphere (ball or whatever) and Jacques then carved and colored it. It was such a funny event, we had tears in our eyes - and it was totally unscripted - they had not spoken about this before and nothing was trained - both played of one another. Since I was already used to walk the longest way to a demonstration, I closed my afternoon watching Hans doing his "Drunken Box" and his first demonstration this morning with another of his feature items, the "Pierced Lid Box". These are all pretty small turning he showed, that can be made on a small lathe like a Jet Mini or so, too. The room was always filled to the brim and some stood at the doors. Thank God they had two large screens set up, so everything could be watched enlarged. If you have not seen some of his work and you have the chance to see him, or any of the other masters, do it - it is well worth. I guess I was sitting there with open eyes and mouth like a little child on Christmas. And I was lucky, too. I asked if he would sell me the Drunken Box he turned, and he did. Wow.

This was my first but not my last AAW symposium - it was well worth the trip and I learned a lot and met a number of friends that turn.
Oh, yeah, before I forget, the instant galery was just superb. There were things I could not even imagine of being turned - but they were.
There is quite a lot of talent in this country - wow!!!

PenWorks

Hhhhhmmmmmm, sounds like a tough decissionfor next year...Provo or AAW [:eek:)]
I am not one for big crowds, but it does sound like it was a good show.
Congrats to the penturners and their new lathes, that is fantastic [:0]

low_48

Just got back this evening, very tired, but proud that I didn't spend "that" much. Hey Rudy, guess what? I didn't win the lathe. The guys name was Richard Hordes, or something like that. With all that noise I guess it just sounded like me. I went to the desk a couple of times to see if the list of winners was there. Finally about 8:30 they had a list up. Not me[:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(] My friends that I rode down with (3 of them) had prepped me the night before that they were fairly certain that my name had been called, but where not for certain. So, 4 of you thought it was me. I just couldn't convince the AAW that sounding close (in a banquet for 2,400 people) was good enough.

I came back with a ton of ideas. I know I want to start carving on more of my bowls, and want to make more hollow vessels. I was talking to Torbin at the Laguna booth and saw that there was all kinds of burl trimmings at the foot of the band saw. I swapped a nice pen for 2 nice chunks of amboyna, and 1 cherry. Should be able to get a dozen blanks from that. Not a great return for me, but no cash was envolved except my kit price.

You can tell that sanding is a burden. There were lots of sanding equipment and styles of magic sanding papers. How about the set of Glaser tools in a fitted aluminum case for $800+? There were times I got frustrated by the crowds, but always got a seat and picked up lots of techniques. There were over 800 Christmas ornaments donated. I also heard that one of Bonnie Klein/Cindy Drozda/? tops sold for $11,000 at the auction. That's right, $11,000[:0] It might be a while before I go again, but really enjoyed this overall.

I still think some regional penturners events would be a great idea. Maybe we could get a committee going on something like that. This hobby/business is just exploding! Enjoyed meeting everyone, just needed more time. Maybe I can get a real event going for this fall. Alice, how about the Chicago area for a long weekend of demos and meetings? A Holiday Inn Convention Center rep called me some time ago about a turning event at their facility here in Peoria. Maybe I should try there?
Rich

penopoly

I was on a business trip to Kentucky and routed my trip through Louiville so I could see what the Symposium was about. I was able to spend 3 hours there on Friday before my plane left. I loved the Gallery - it was the Disneyland of wood turning. I would look at 4 or 5 tables and then have to break and go to the trade booths and come back to the gallery because everything was so beautiful and overwhelming. It started to get crowded later in the morning, so the lesson is to go early in the day, but not on the 1st day if you don't like crowds.

I peeked at the demos and most of them were not completely full Friday morning.

I was able to find some amboyna wood worth buying and they will ship it to me.

I can hardly wait for the affair in Portland next year. We can drive to that and I can hopefully attend all of it.

Penopoly
Auburn, WA

woodwish

Originally posted by RogerGarrett
<br />Review Part II

I WAS able to attend several sessions on Thursday - albeit, my third choices - such as how to make a baseball bat (which I already knew how to do) and making kitchen items such as pepper grinders, salt shakers (by the way - the camera work at this event was superb). I stayed in the same room for the immediate following of a demo for making crafts projects such as a tea candle holder and ring holder - all projects I can already do (the camera work here was sincerely attempted, but couldn't see the work until she figured out which camera and in which position to place the camera - and action had already been completed).

Roger, small world- I missed the penturners get-together to run the camera for my friend, Andrew Brown, when he made some kitchen items. That old hippie-looking guy behind the camera was me. Thanks for the compliment! Andrew is a very funny guy and we met a year or so ago at another event, I love his easy-going style of turning and demo-ing.

BTW- I just got home after driving about 11 hours. Unloaded all my wood and goodies in the shop and am now debating to go turn or go to bed (which everyone else at home has already done except the faithful dog who was happy to see me).

At two of the sessions that I worked the camera the main camera simply would not focus on a closeup. They are low-bid cheap 8mm cameras that must be 8-10 years old, and they need to be replaced. I have no idea how much of that stuff was borrowed, rented, or owned by AAW. When I tried to show the main camera with Mike Mahoney in front of about 400+ attendees it was fuzzy and had a wierd glow, tried every trick I knew of to improve with no luck. Very embarassing and frustrating for all of us. When a turner of his caliber is demoing everyone should be able to see. I hope to see what I can do to help more in this area for next year, I've worked in the video field for a lot more years than I have been turning.

Also saw the demo of the Saturn Box by Hans, simply amazing work that is hard to describe to people.

Gary Max

Hey Rich--- Low 48 -----I also talked to Torbin.
We talked about the 4 motors that I had to install the first year I owned my Laguna bandsaw---- and how happy I was about the cussing I got from his salesman who called me.
I think you had a better time talking to Torbin than I did.
Needless to say I don't get Christmas cards from those folks but I do get to tell this story many MANY times every year.

I attended the Pen gathering as well on Thursday and had a great time. I was happy to meet many of us with the same addictions and discuss many of our favorite topics.

I was happy to be able to stand up and talk about the pens I make, materials and some design thoughts.... the back and forth sharing was excellent.

I was happy for Kurt as well, he won a One Way lathe, I kidded him that I'd hold it up at the border and not let it over!![}:)]

I submitted two items to the auction, one a collaberation solid end fountain pen and turned oriental box with Jennifer Shirley (went for $350)

200662514159_IMG_0350.jpg
<br />

200662514230_IMG_0353.jpg
<br />

and an amboyna burl Emperor fountain pen (went for $250).

I had a super time over all, the best experience for me was meeting so many friends for the first time from IAP, WoW and Woodcentral...I feel that in it self was what makes annual gatherings like the AAW the great events that that they are...it's all about getting together and meeting people and making friends...
[:D][:D]

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by woodwish
Roger, small world- I missed the penturners get-together to run the camera for my friend, Andrew Brown, when he made some kitchen items. That old hippie-looking guy behind the camera was me. Thanks for the compliment! Andrew is a very funny guy and we met a year or so ago at another event, I love his easy-going style of turning and demo-ing.

Good job on the camera work! [:D] I was a bit late to the session but snuck in and got a seat next to the screen - and I could watch the lathe work personally or view the screen. That guy was quite funny - easy going and quick with the one-liners - very entertaining. One could easily be distracted by how smoothly he handled all of his turning - quite a bit of skill there.

I grew up in Portland, OR and my entire family lives within a 30 mile radius of city center. I have no doubt I will be there next year - and have an opportunity to visit old haunts. As we get closer to that date next year, perhaps those from this forum who would like to get together and have a couple of beers could plan to meet somewhere in town - I'm pretty fluent with Portland.

Best,
Roger Garrett

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />I also talked to Torbin.
We talked about the 4 motors that I had to install the first year I owned my Laguna bandsaw---- and how happy I was about the cussing I got from his salesman who called me.
I think you had a better time talking to Torbin than I did.
Needless to say I don't get Christmas cards from those folks but I do get to tell this story many MANY times every year.

Gary, I had the same experience and the same conversation with Torbin. He told me he didn't understand why I had so many problems with the bandsaw because nobody else did. Obviously, I was doing something wrong. I was the first complaint they ever had, and I was the worst and most unreasonable customer they ever had.

You made my day. Now I know there are two of us.

its_virgil

Rich,
I have organized two such events here in N. Texas. I've suggested numerous times here and on the Y!PT group that others should do the same. I don't know if anyone else has or not. We had a great time spending the day with other penturners: we turned, taught, talked shop, and had fun. I arranged for the use of a Woodcraft shop on a Sat when they had no classes scheduled. They offered a 10% discount to any pen related purchases from our group. The other was held at another independent woodworking store that caters heavily to the woodturning/penturning community. I hope you and others will take the challenge and organize some similar events in your "regions" of the country. Let us know when and where.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by low_48
<br />
I still think some regional penturners events would be a great idea. Maybe we could get a committee going on something like that. Rich

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />................I hope you and others will take the challenge and organize some similar events in your "regions" of the country. Let us know when and where.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I think it should be held at Rich's place - he's got all the wood! [;)]

Bloomington is fairly central to our state - could always find a place here.........[:D]

Best,
Roger Garrett

its_virgil

For those who are interested in organizing one of these, I think the "regional" concept needs to be focused on separate metropolitan areas but invite anyone who wants to or can attend to do so. Having a meeting in DC, for example, should draw lots of interest, or as mentioned, central Indiana. I would think the same for other large metro areas. The two I did were in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex and we had turners from a 100-150 mile radius attend, some from farther. About 20 penturners attended, but we had a great time. There were even some who coordinated our meeting with visits to family and came from Arkansas,Louisana, and Oklahoma. Traveling to Provo is fun, but expensive. I would drive 200 miles to attend a meeting...maybe others would also. I think with as many active members we have here, some really good penturning meetings could be organized. Think about it...don't wait for someone else to organize one. Our next Texas meeting will be during the SWAT (aka Texas TurnorTwo) symposium this fall in Temple, Texas. Watch for more details.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I think it should be held at Rich's place - he's got all the wood! [;)]

Bloomington is fairly central to our state - could always find a place here.........[:D]

Best,
Roger Garrett

woodwish

<br /> . . . As we get closer to that date next year, perhaps those from this forum who would like to get together and have a couple of beers could plan to meet somewhere in town - I'm pretty fluent with Portland.

Best,
Roger Garrett

Roger, count me in! I think it is about a 3000 mile trip each way for me so I will be thirsty when I get there [;)][8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom