AAW Penturning Event

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I received the following from my contact at AAW. Some of you might be interested.

August 30, 2019

Hello Jeff:

AAW embarked on an exciting new marketing venture with Rockler Woodworking and Hardware earlier in 2019. This endeavor offers AAW and its chapters an opportunity to publicize the value of membership to previously untapped audiences.

As part of this marketing venture we are working with Rockler to plan a local Pen Turning event and are excited to offer an opportunity for chapter involvement. The event will include pen turning hands on classes in your local Rockler store on Saturday, November 9, 2019. Classes will be held at 9:30 am, 11:30 am, 1:30 pm and 3:30 pm.

Hands-on Classes: New turners will be able to make slim line pens using carbide tools.

Rockler will provide:

Lathe, kits, and accessories

Chapter demonstrators will provide:

Teaching assistants
Chapter information/brochures

This is the second year Rockler has held this event. Turning participants are charged $10 fee and proceeds being donated to National Veterans Foundation. Last year just under 550 participated.

The AAW asks that people don't show up at the event intending to volunteer to assist, but there are a couple chapters still looking for volunteers. If you might be interested in helping out at the event in the following locations, let me know and I'll send you the contact info for the responsible AAW chapter.

Salem, NH
Rocklin, CA

FrankH

About nine years ago I took a pen class at Rockler and made a slimline pen. That started a satisfying (an expensive) hobby. For years my wife carried that Slimline in her purse. When we visited Williamsburg a while back we went in some kind of high end store to buy something. When my wife pulled out this Slimline to sign the credit card slip, I pointed out a small display of Slimlines priced at $42, Naturally my showed the store clerk her pen and told her I made it. The womans comment: "Oh how quaint". I laughed all the way back to the hotel.

Top Bottom