AAW membership

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I just joined the AAW after a lot of support from those members who also post here. Now that I'm a new member what are your suggestions for me i.e. what should I look into, is there any area on line that I should look at continually? Lots of questions and lots of info I'm needing to figure out. Any help is appreciated and welcomed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

Hey Tom, I've been a member there for over a year now myself. There are some very helpful members there and they have a lot of nice hands on videos. I'm Bobby Smith over there.

MTViper

The Woodturning Fundamentals are a great help. More of a "how to" than the monthly magazine. Also the video collection is great. Everything you can imagine. In case you're not a member of a local club, they have the master list there along with locations and meeting times. I drive 125 miles each way to the club I'm a member of, don't make it every month but always learn something when I do.

Mr Vic

I suggest looking online for local chapters. It's amazing what you can learn watching a demo or two. They may be turning a bowl or a vase but a lot of turning techniques cross over to pen turning and visa versa.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Last edited:

duncsuss

.. what should I look into, is there any area on line that I should look at continually?

I've been a member for as long as I've been turning; the archives of Woodturning magazine are wonderful for browsing, and I learn a lot from the online "member moderated forum". There are certain people who post regularly there I respect greatly - both for their solid turning knowledge and their ideas.

(Note that you have to sign up for the forum as a second step after creating your login on the AAW main site - www.aawforum.org - I've saved bookmarks to both sites.)

Pen_man_ship

I let my membership lapse. Great when I first started but now basically a pen and small items guy.

I too let my membership lapse. Timing had a lot to do with my decision. The October 2019 issue push me over the edge, I have no interest in sculptures like that and so Jerry owns a Gretch, good for him. Plus, in my opinion, they spend too much time/energy pimping their symposium, which may be out of reach for most members and self-serving. I apologize if I appear negative, just my 2¢.

Hey Tom, I've been a member there for over a year now myself. There are some very helpful members there and they have a lot of nice hands on videos. I'm Bobby Smith over there.
The Woodturning Fundamentals are a great help. More of a "how to" than the monthly magazine. Also the video collection is great. Everything you can imagine. In case you're not a member of a local club, they have the master list there along with locations and meeting times. I drive 125 miles each way to the club I'm a member of, don't make it every month but always learn something when I do.
I suggest looking online for local chapters. It's amazing what you can learn watching a demo or two. They may be turning a bowl or a vase but a lot of turning techniques cross over to pen turning and visa versa.
I let my membership lapse. Great when I first started but now basically a pen and small items guy.
I've been a member for as long as I've been turning; the archives of Woodturning magazine are wonderful for browsing, and I learn a lot from the online "member moderated forum". There are certain people who post regularly there I respect greatly - both for their solid turning knowledge and their ideas.

(Note that you have to sign up for the forum as a second step after creating your login on the AAW main site - www.aawforum.org - I've saved bookmarks to both sites.)
I too let my membership lapse. Timing had a lot to do with my decision. The October 2019 issue push me over the edge, I have no interest in sculptures like that and so Jerry owns a Gretch, good for him. Plus, in my opinion, they spend too much time/energy pimping their symposium, which may be out of reach for most members and self-serving. I apologize if I appear negative, just my 2¢.

Thanks everyone for this discussion. I figure at worst I'll be a member for a year and see how it goes. I enjoyed the Pro's and Con's of joining and can respect each posters thoughts. I don't turn a lot of bowls or such but hope to learn more about the process. I might start, who knows. There is a local club in Great Falls that is on their list of clubs and due to where I live I can't really make it in the Winter months as the roads are way to unpredictable at best. And if it snows we don't leave until the roads are plowed. Thanks again.

Woodchipper

I joined before I started turning pens. There is a way to search for a local chapter plus the library , under Resources, is great. You have to be a member to access the library.

Top Bottom