a "wiset1" style sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxman400

maxman400

After seeing "wiset1" "started but never finished" thread the other day, it inspired me to try this. I learned a lot from this one blank. The blank is made up with black walnut, purple acrylic, black paper and aluminum beer bottle. All the parts were cut using a razor saw, (learning part) need better equipment. Drilling was pretty straight forward, I used the cullet chuck and started with a center bit then a 3/8 bit and finished with the 27/64. All joints have a layer of black paper between them including the diamond shapes and there is a layer on each side of the aluminum pieces, CA was used for the glue up.
Comments are welcome, And Thanks for Looking.:biggrin:
attachment.php

Attachments

• segmented 005.jpg
    segmented 005.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 531
  • segmented 006.jpg
    segmented 006.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 162
  • segmented 007.jpg
    segmented 007.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 178
  • segmented 008.jpg
    segmented 008.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 188
  • segmented 009.jpg
    segmented 009.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 181
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I love it! Tell me more about this "razor saw". You use a hand saw to cut them? That is the only razor saw I know of.

Love the idea of using black paper between the joints.

Looks pretty good, I really like the purple in the pen but why did you stop with the aluminum after the first two sections?
I have done a few herringbone pens and that was enough for me. I guess with the proper tools it would be easier to get more accurate but for me it was very frustrating and gluey fingers.

BSea

That's a cool idea. I also like the idea of black paper. Just to clarify, that's just 1 pen, right? The scallops look interesting too. I'd love to have seen the blank during the build up.

maxman400

I love it! Tell me more about this "razor saw". You use a hand saw to cut them? That is the only razor saw I know of.

Love the idea of using black paper between the joints.
It is the X-acto miter box and saw
attachment.php

Looks pretty good, I really like the purple in the pen but why did you stop with the aluminum after the first two sections?
I have done a few herringbone pens and that was enough for me. I guess with the proper tools it would be easier to get more accurate but for me it was very frustrating and gluey fingers.
I was not sure how it was going to turn out or how hard it would be to drill through the aluminum so it was more of a test then design

That's a cool idea. I also like the idea of black paper. Just to clarify, that's just 1 pen, right? The scallops look interesting too. I'd love to have seen the blank during the build up.
Yes, it is just one pen, the link below shows what it looks like before turning.

Now see that is a neat looking concept. Be prepared to be imitated....cause I am already trying to wrap my mind around it.
You can't imitate me because I am imitating wist1 already. LOL :biggrin:
Here is the link to wiset1's thread it is on the 3rd page
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/started-but-never-finished-99988/index3.html
Thanks every one for the positive feed back, it makes me want to start the next one. I have ordered some better tools, the positive feed back will help with the justification for them to the LOML. :wink:

Attachments

• X-acto.jpg
    X-acto.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

wiset1

I always tell people, if you want to bang your head against the same rock I do when figuring these things out...feel free to do so, ha ha. The pen looks great and the best part is that you learned something new. Awesome work!

maxman400

I always tell people, if you want to bang your head against the same rock I do when figuring these things out...feel free to do so, ha ha. The pen looks great and the best part is that you learned something new. Awesome work!
Thanks Tim, I am still working on keeping every thing lined up and level. :confused: lol

Top Bottom