A week's worth

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Terryble66

Terryble66

I started cutting these blanks last weekend and just finished assembling them tonight. Nothing fancy, but a nice variety. I've almost gone through the 50 Slimline kits I started out with, many of which were given as Christmas presents last month. I've gotten pretty comfortable making these slimlines pens and would like to try something new. Any suggestions on what style of pen kit I should try next that's still fairly easy for a newby? TIA!
IMG_20200109_235740__01.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sly Dog

50 already? A sign of true addiction. Very nice variety and finished well, too! I still have trouble with getting the fit right on a slimline and I think many would agree that slimlines are not the easiest kits for beginners. You want fairly easy next, so you might try a Sierra/Gatsby type single blank kit. There are a ton of choices there.

Terryble66

50 already? A sign of true addiction. Very nice variety and finished well, too! I still have trouble with getting the fit right on a slimline and I think many would agree that slimlines are not the easiest kits for beginners. You want fairly easy next, so you might try a Sierra/Gatsby type single blank kit. There are a ton of choices there.
Slimline was the first pen I turned, actually the first thing I'd ever turned, and they were cheap. So I just ordered more and a grab bag of blanks and dived right in lol. I'll check out the Sierra/Gatsby. A single blank sounds like fun. Thanks!

magpens

My recommendation would be try the 30 Caliber Bolt Action ... you can buy from BearToothWoods, ExoticBlanks, PSI, and other vendors.

Quite a novel and popular design ... pen shaped like a bullet with a "bolt action" to extend and retract the Parker refill (which most prefer).

Might be too easy for you, though !! ;) :)

Terryble66

My recommendation would be try the 30 Caliber Bolt Action ... you can buy from BearToothWoods, ExoticBlanks, PSI, and other vendors.

Quite a novel and popular design ... pen shaped like a bullet with a "bolt action" to extend and retract the Parker refill (which most prefer).

Might be too easy for you, though !! ;) :)
I've been thinking about making one for my son's birthday in May but wasn't sure if they were hard to do. He's a Marine Veteran, and they have some beautiful patriotic ones out there. Thanks so much!

qquake

Great first pens! Certainly better than my first. Bolt action pens are easy to turn and assemble, and people really like them. I've made quite a few.

Attachments

• 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 187
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 144

Terryble66

Great first pens! Certainly better than my first. Bolt action pens are easy to turn and assemble, and people really like them. I've made quite a few.
Thank you! That's a very pretty pen. I like the blank you paired it with too, perfect. With all the variations of the bolt actions, I like that there seems to be a version for everyone. It's going on the must do list now šŸ˜Š

magpens

@Terryble66

Make sure you get the "original" 30 Cal Bolt Action kit ... there are some "knock-offs" which may not be as good in appearance, altho' the operation is much the same.

The "original" was introduced about 6 or so years ago by the PSI company. . I don't go for a lot of the PSI designs but the 30 Cal Bolt Action is a real winner. . You will get the PSI "original" if you buy from the companies that I mentioned in my first post. . If you are buying from anyone else take a printed picture with you and carefully compare. . The style of the clip is often a clue; if the clip has a curved bend at the top end, don't buy it.

I particularly like the Gun Metal plating ... seems to go with the pen design concept and it is a good match for lots of blank materials/colors.

RobS

Additionally if you like slim pens the euro designer is a nice step up.

higher end version:

Also the vertex and executive are excellent single barrel pens

Terryble66

@Terryble66

Make sure you get the "original" 30 Cal Bolt Action kit ... there are some "knock-offs" which may not be as good in appearance, altho' the operation is much the same.

The "original" was introduced about 6 or so years ago by the PSI company. . I don't go for a lot of the PSI designs but the 30 Cal Bolt Action is a real winner. . You will get the PSI "original" if you buy from the companies that I mentioned in my first post. . If you are buying from anyone else take a printed picture with you and carefully compare. . The style of the clip is often a clue; if the clip has a curved bend at the top end, don't buy it.

I particularly like the Gun Metal plating ... seems to go with the pen design concept and it is a good match for lots of blank materials/colors.
Thanks for the advice! Nothing worse than spending money on a rip-off. I've only trusted PSI and Woodturners Catalog so far.

Top Bottom