A vase and a bowl segmented ofcourse, just showing them here.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from peter1958

peter1958

The bowl is made of wenge, oak, padouk, merbau and yew. Laquered once here on the picture. almost 5600 pieces. The vase is made of wenge, padouk, ash and merbau. almost 4700 pieces. I liked to make them, smile was growing every ring. Top layer of the vase is all padouk but selected bright and darker red to alternate, nice effect.
20210927_185119_005.jpg

Attachments

• bodem.jpg
    bodem.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 20211023_173922.jpg
    20211023_173922.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 20211023_173931.jpg
    20211023_173931.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 20211023_173939.jpg
    20211023_173939.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Wowza... Very nice!! That is a ... lot of segments!

Segmented turning was what got me interested in this whole thing in the first place... Watching vids on youtube of people creating segmented rings, gluing them together, then turning them. I'm not quite 2 years in now, and I haven't gotten that far, just don't have the room for a table saw, and just picked up a bandsaw recently (which MAY be able to help me get started with some segmented pieces). Love this stuff.

Kcimdrib

Peter having attempted this but much simpler design I appreciate how much concentration and skill goes into this type of work.
Well done.

peter1958

Peter having attempted this but much simpler design I appreciate how much concentration and skill goes into this type of work.
Well done.
It is also a matter of creating new tools. It was very difficult to get the "bricks" line up vertically. So i made a jig.
I have a aluminum disc with in the outer ring 60 holes, with that disc and a router i "drilled" 192 holes spaced evenly on a 49 cm wooden disc so i can make a 96 segment bowl. It works like the Tom Lohman gluing jig.

jrista

woodturner pro and a Tom Lohman gluing jig and method.
Wow. Incredible... I never imagined making something out of so many segments. I should get the ball rolling on segmented pieces, so that someday, before I die, I'll be able to even contemplate trying something as complex as in that video!

peter1958

Wow. Incredible... I never imagined making something out of so many segments. I should get the ball rolling on segmented pieces, so that someday, before I die, I'll be able to even contemplate trying something as complex as in that video!
It is a matter of trying and planning the next piece without the mistakes from the previous one.

NGLJ

I recognize the try, fail and try again scenario but I don't think I have enough years left to try enough times to get anywhere near your standard - my segmented bowls are very pedestrian compared to yours

peter1958

I recognize the try, fail and try again scenario but I don't think I have enough years left to try enough times to get anywhere near your standard - my segmented bowls are very pedestrian compared to yours
I didn't start segmenting with a 72 pieces for every ring. 12 it was. then 18 or so. Always a critical look, are my tools ok for this job? Did i use the correct technique? Is the design ok. These questions i asked myself from the first ring i have been building. I had a little hobby lathe. with some luck i got a professional one for a good price. What tools do i need? A chuck, and another big chuck, Fabricating scrapers and gauges from old files, Still have them. Bought some good ones, Crown pro pm powdermetal. Expensive but sooooo good.
Then a drumsander, bought some jigs i couldn't make myself, Finishing is a technique also to learn.
Bought software, woodturner pro for designing. very good!! All that got me where i'm now, just at the beginning of the learning process, i'm 63 and need at least 25 years to learn.....

NGLJ

I have WTP and agree that it is very good. I haven't progressed beyond 24 pieces per row but who knows! I recently bought a drum sander which has made a huge difference in both segmented turning and pen making. For pen making I use it for consistent sizing of stock especially recently where I have been focusing on stave blanks. I only use carbide tools and so far I haven't found it too limiting. There are a few situations where traditional HSS tools are better. For pen turning I only use one tool with a carbide 10mm square NR cutter with 2" radius.

Top Bottom