A Valuable Lesson learned

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Went down in the shop today to say hello to all my friends down there and to reintroduce myself.:) I know I am still a ways away from doing some work there but have been gathering bits and pieces and a few kits this past few months. Planning my big return to the tools. Then I looked over at the workbench area where I store many supplies and to my dismay I see about 7 unfinished blanks started. The problem comes in now because it has been over a year since I started them and now have no idea what kit I had planed for each. They have tubes cast in already on most. 2 blanks I never did figure out a good kit for so those I can save easily. The others are going to take some severe detective work. One set of blanks I know was for either a Majestic full or Jr so should be able to decipher that one. The other 4 are a total mystery. I knew I was going to try different new kits for me but again am at a loss. I thought I wrote down somewhere my plans on paper but have no idea as to where. So bottom line lesson learned if you are making blanks write info down somewhere weather on the blank or on a sheet of paper and tack it somewhere you can see it. Lesson over. Frustrating for sure. Mad at myself.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If the tubes you have already installed came from the kits, first step look for kits that are missing the tubes.

If they are indeed "junior" tubes, compare length with kits you have not removed the tubes--look for identical tubes.
Remember internal diameter is the most critical dimension---MOST of the "10.5 & 12.5mm" kits are the same ID.

Good luck!!

jttheclockman

If the tubes you have already installed came from the kits, first step look for kits that are missing the tubes.

If they are indeed "junior" tubes, compare length with kits you have not removed the tubes--look for identical tubes.
Remember internal diameter is the most critical dimension---MOST of the "10.5 & 12.5mm" kits are the same ID.

Good luck!!
Like your thinking Ed. But most times I buy extra tubes and build blanks and keep the manufactured tube with the kit until I finally assemble then put that tube with extras. I do have a majestic kit opened so that one should fit the one set of blanks but will measure for sure. Have a few bags of kits sitting on bench too of various kits so hoping I can figure them out. With these other blanks I will have to take out of the molds and trim them down to get exact lengths. I am getting that feeling back though as I looked at those blanks.

What frustrates me is, as I get older and older, I need more notes to remind where the other notes are. The person who invented the post-it notes sure did a great thing. I have them things all over the house. :)

Lmstretch

Don't be too hard on yourself. Like many pen turners, I probably have at least 7 blanks with tubes in them that I don't know what kits they are for. Lol

i have tried several methods, like having small plastic containers for each kit I am working on. This worked when I used it. Lol

howsitwork

i've now reached the stage of popping the prepared blanks with tube in , into the kit bag or a box with its hardware.

just don't ask about the box of 35 tubes all prepped that made me decide to do it this way .šŸ˜³

jttheclockman

Wow, sort of surprised to see I am not alone with this dilemma. Lots of good ideas if I can remember to do them. I also found a couple of wood blanks stashed away in an unlikely place this morning but those I did write something on them but guess what I can not read it. These have to be well over 5 years old. Nice burl blanks all tubed up too. I remember I was going to mix the dark and light wood colors to make those pens. Man I thought I was a little bit more organized than that. I also found a bunch of birdhouse ornaments I started many years ago. I think I am going to stop looking. Oh I did find one other blank and remember I was going to test this crowd to guess the material. I need to get that one done too. I believe it was for a Sierra kit. That should be easy.

Todd in PA

Here's my method: Harbor Freight sells these drawer organizers. I've got a couple permanently atop my work station. I used to only have one project at a time because I'd get mixed up. Each row holds all my parts and pieces for a project, even if the 'project' is 5 graduate kits. All 5 are in slot A. Slot B might have a seam ripper. C, a Jr. George. I keep the bushings in the slot too, and often un-bag all the pieces, to measure and whatnot. I can walk in and know what's what even if i forgot. However, I have an OCD thing that usually prevents me from leaving things unfinished for long. šŸ¤Ŗ

CD2876DD-D655-4459-8EC0-CE7A0E6B505B.jpeg

RunnerVince

My wife and I do this thing where she says "can you make me a pen for so-and-so," and then we pick out blanks and kits, and then I don't get to it right away, and we have to start over. So now whenever she askes me to do a project, everything goes into a ziplock (or kit bag, if it's large enough) and a name gets written on the bag.

jttheclockman

My wife and I do this thing where she says "can you make me a pen for so-and-so," and then we pick out blanks and kits, and then I don't get to it right away, and we have to start over. So now whenever she askes me to do a project, everything goes into a ziplock (or kit bag, if it's large enough) and a name gets written on the bag.
This is what I need to start doing for sure. Thanks all.

MRDucks2

Went down in the shop today to say hello to all my friends down there and to reintroduce myself.:) I know I am still a ways away from doing some work there but have been gathering bits and pieces and a few kits this past few months. Planning my big return to the tools. Then I looked over at the workbench area where I store many supplies and to my dismay I see about 7 unfinished blanks started. The problem comes in now because it has been over a year since I started them and now have no idea what kit I had planed for each. They have tubes cast in already on most. 2 blanks I never did figure out a good kit for so those I can save easily. The others are going to take some severe detective work. One set of blanks I know was for either a Majestic full or Jr so should be able to decipher that one. The other 4 are a total mystery. I knew I was going to try different new kits for me but again am at a loss. I thought I wrote down somewhere my plans on paper but have no idea as to where. So bottom line lesson learned if you are making blanks write info down somewhere weather on the blank or on a sheet of paper and tack it somewhere you can see it. Lesson over. Frustrating for sure. Mad at myself.
I have a slightly larger, slightly different version of this "tackle" box from Wally World. The tackle version of the plastic cases are divided large enough to put the blank and the hardware all in a single spot. This one is medium and is 13" long and 9" wide with 8 spots.

Tackle Container

Like I said, in the fishing section.

jttheclockman

I have a slightly larger, slightly different version of this "tackle" box from Wally World. The tackle version of the plastic cases are divided large enough to put the blank and the hardware all in a single spot. This one is medium and is 13" long and 9" wide with 8 spots.

Tackle Container

Like I said, in the fishing section.
Have plenty of boxes of all sizes. Just really need to get my act together. When I built those blanks I was trying to get as many ideas as I had done and really thought I would get right to finishing them with kits and all while it was still fresh in my mind. But life got in the way and was working on the house which I still am and causing holdups of fun time. Lesson learned though for sure.

Top Bottom