A square wooden Platter...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from robutacion

robutacion

Hi peoples,

Another piece that I done (still not finished), at the moment with 2 coats of sanding sealer, ready for last sanding and varnishing...!

Is is a piece made from a slab cut from the best log I salvage from a tree that I cut for my auto-mechanic friend about 18 months ago. The wood is just no dry enough to pay with so, I decided that was time for me to make another "Gift" piece for my mechanic friend, every tree that I cut for him that is usable for wood-turning, he gets at least one piece turned for it so this time was a tree that he planted about 20 years ago but far too close to the power line and it grown a lot bigger than he ever anticipated so, after the Power company made a mess out of it, cutting its top in "L" shape, was time to get the tree down and solve the problem once and for all...!

My friend though that the tree was an Australia Casuarina and in fact, at the time he purchased the small tree fro the nursery, that was the name they were know for but recently, as recent as 3 or 4 years, they (Authorities) discovered that this particular tree species has its one gene and therefore a species on its own, it was given the name of Rock-Oak...!

This is a relative of the She-Oak, Buloke, Casuarina and others, this is a local variety and I'm not sure what made then to select such a name but, my guy feeling is that, the wood density and rays tightness is in many ways identical to the Buloke (Bull-Oak) the hardest wood ever classified...!

Why square shape...??? well, my friends partner has once indicated to me that she like very much the square ornaments in the kitchen, she has just replaced the round plates for square ones so, that was my clue as this will be a nice fruit salad platter for her to put at the centre of her kitchen table...!

The sanding sealer is taking too long to dry, I've used this "organic" wood sealer that is suppose to do the same as the normal sanding sealer but with the weather we have been having with lots of rain, cold and high humidity, the wood density is certainly lot allowing the stuff to soak in as I want so next time, I may use it in summer but not in winter...!

I will post a couple of pics when it is finished but for now, enjoy the "in between"...!:wink::biggrin:

PS: the piece is 14"1/2 between points x 2" 1/4 thick...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 232
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 248
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 212

robutacion

Hi peoples,

Another piece that I done (still not finished), at the moment with 2 coats of sanding sealer, ready for last sanding and varnishing...!

Is is a piece made from a slab cut from the best log I salvage from a tree that I cut for my auto-mechanic friend about 18 months ago. The wood is just no dry enough to pay with so, I decided that was time for me to make another "Gift" piece for my mechanic friend, every tree that I cut for him that is usable for wood-turning, he gets at least one piece turned for it so this time was a tree that he planted about 20 years ago but far too close to the power line and it grown a lot bigger than he ever anticipated so, after the Power company made a mess out of it, cutting its top in "L" shape, was time to get the tree down and solve the problem once and for all...!

My friend though that the tree was an Australia Casuarina and in fact, at the time he purchased the small tree fro the nursery, that was the name they were know for but recently, as recent as 3 or 4 years, they (Authorities) discovered that this particular tree species has its one gene and therefore a species on its own, it was given the name of Rock-Oak...!

This is a relative of the She-Oak, Buloke, Casuarina and others, this is a local variety and I'm not sure what made then to select such a name but, my guy feeling is that, the wood density and rays tightness is in many ways identical to the Buloke (Bull-Oak) the hardest wood ever classified...!

Why square shape...??? well, my friends partner has once indicated to me that she like very much the square ornaments in the kitchen, she has just replaced the round plates for square ones so, that was my clue as this will be a nice fruit salad platter for her to put at the centre of her kitchen table...!

The sanding sealer is taking too long to dry, I've used this "organic" wood sealer that is suppose to do the same as the normal sanding sealer but with the weather we have been having with lots of rain, cold and high humidity, the wood density is certainly lot allowing the stuff to soak in as I want so next time, I may use it in summer but not in winter...!

I will post a couple of pics when it is finished but for now, enjoy the "in between"...!:wink::biggrin:

PS: the piece is 14"1/2 between points x 2" 1/4 thick...!

Cheers
George

Hahahaha, is funny how sometimes, I get it so wrong...!:redface::smile-big:

I meant this "The wood is just now, dry enough to play with so,"

Sorry...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom