A Square Pen.....well almost

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

Got a little tired turning rounds pens all the time, so I tried to make a square one. :D This little beauty changed shapes about 5 times before ending up the way it did.
It is very comfy to hold on the angle, the clip looked better aligned with the angle as well, but fit better in the pocket aligned with the flat side.

200542519571_burl_open1.jpg

2005425195724_burl_cls_1.jpg

Thought I would throw this in to since it is hot off the press....
Purple Passion, solid body, tubless, extra long, Statesmen Jr.

2005425195922_solidbody_purpas.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodguy1975

Cool ideas for both the square pen and the tubeless pen. Makes sense to me to not use a tube of you don't have to. What did you do for turning the tubeless blank since you obviously couldn't put it on a mandrel because you don't have a through hole?

John

PenWorks

Tom, yes, the pen is square on all 4 sides. I rounded the blank oversize, then took it to my sander and 4 sided the blank to give me a starting point. I turned on it some more rounding the tail end. Had the nib end completetly square, which I really like the look of it, but did not like the transition to the nib. So thats when I rounded it slighlty to meet the nib trim ring. Then I hand sanded the four sides to square, with a taper to meet the round transition. Spent a lot of time in my easy chair hand sanding [:D]

PenWorks

John, look at this link, I turned the solid body the same way I turned the dip pen.
There is 1/2 inch of brass tube in there and I used the same nib bushing for the pen.
This way I can use the same press fit nib for the pen I am making.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4861&SearchTerms=dip,pen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom