A Spenner.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I haven't been here since this post I made in May. I've lurked, but decided I wouldn't post again until I in some way could properly thank Peter ' Penpal' Hay for his wonderful gift he sent to me. :redface:

Well Peter, my friend , this is what I came up with. Not much I'm afraid, but I think it's pretty unique and really made my old grey matter work overtime to put my idea into reality.

I have just this minute got it back from the engraver and took the last pic before wrapping it up and sending it on it's way.

I hope you like it Peter !! :biggrin:

I call it a Spenner.... a cross between a pen and a spanner..:rolleyes:

It is made from 6mm thick stainless steel flat bar, a bit of brass knurled for the 'mech' and two 4mm Allen Grubscrews and of course a parker style refill.
It is actually the correct size for an 8mm nut/bolt...13mm

Some of the progress pics as well.
No blood making this one....but plenty of blisters.....:biggrin:

Attachments

• PJH1.JPG
    PJH1.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 348
  • PJH2.JPG
    PJH2.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 353
  • PJH3.JPG
    PJH3.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 363
  • PJH4.JPG
    PJH4.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 343
  • PJH5.JPG
    PJH5.JPG
    245.4 KB · Views: 337
  • PJH.JPG
    PJH.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 535

SteveG

Hey Skip,
Can I order up a full set of "Spenners" in both Metric and SAE sizes? :biggrin:
And try to keep it under $100, although I will understand if it is more. :eek: :eek:

Now, to get serious...

This type of project, an ultimate Steampunk perhaps, is one of the many facets of the art of pen making where you excel. From concept to execution, and all the steps in between, performed with excellence. Great job once again!

magpens

Hey Skip,

This type of project, an ultimate Steampunk perhaps, is one of the many facets of the art of pen making where you excel. From concept to execution, and all the steps in between, performed with excellence. Great job once again!

Steve said it well !!!!! . Congratulations on the design and execution ..... and ..... presentation !!!!! . Wonderfully unique !!!!!

Now, to get serious...
Skip, I think you should patent that ... otherwise PSI will copy and offer it as a kit ! . And it would sell well !

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You did not mention the spring. But where are the two Allen screws?

Pierre, I'll gladly tell you why two grubscrews, but perhaps you or someone else can figure it out.:biggrin:
Look in the first set of pics....there are two grubscrews, one long and one short.
Although they are in the same threaded hole, they each serve a different purpose.......:wink:

I'll pop back and see who gives the reason...no prizes tho...it's actually a common engineering practice:biggrin:

Thanks again for all the cool comments. Always appreciated:biggrin:

Silver

Simply Stunning Skip.

You did not mention the spring. But where are the two Allen screws?

Pierre, I'll gladly tell you why two grubscrews, but perhaps you or someone else can figure it out.:biggrin:
Look in the first set of pics....there are two grubscrews, one long and one short.
Although they are in the same threaded hole, they each serve a different purpose.......:wink:

I'll pop back and see who gives the reason...no prizes tho...it's actually a common engineering practice:biggrin:

Thanks again for all the cool comments. Always appreciated:biggrin:

I know, you can see one of them..:biggrin:but I won't spoil it for Pierre..

PenPal

Hi Skippy knock me over with a feather mate,your as mad as a two bob watch.Up a Gum Tree how to respond,I remain your good friend, cannot wait for the mailman.I will try to load a few pics including one of yours I lightened up showing the map of Wales the burl (Brown Mallee) was cut to.

Sorry mate some mongrel from some obscure place stuffed up my provider so I will reply in two days when I am assured all will be well.

In the meantime awaiting the mail man, what a smashing pen mate.

Kind regards Peter.

Rounder

Your imagination and then the execution of said imagination are just astounding. True art very well executed. Beautiful.

eldee

This is the kind of thing that results from a combination of great imagination and tremendous skill. Keep 'em coming Skip!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Lin, of course you are perfectly correct. :wink:I suspect Silver knew as well :biggrin:

The brass thumb screw travels up and down the long grubscrew. Although the steel/steel grip is slightly more than the brass/steel grip, there could be a tendancy for it to unscrew. As Lin said, the short one simply bears against the long one and holds it in place.

If/when Peter needs to change the refill, he will remove the short one and back off the long one while holding the thumbscrew. Then the refill along with the thumbscrew comes out.
I packed in an Allen key and a couple spare grubscrews.....just in case..:biggrin:

Charlie_W

A truly fantastic Spenner Skip! The finished product as well as your creativity and execution are always a treat.

Thanks once again for showing us that penturning is an "open ended" craft and there is always something new around the corner!

Top Bottom