A Southwestern Flare - both Kit and Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

Today is the first time I have used the Southwest Mesa Twist kit from PSI. It is also the first time I have turned Ironwood from the Sonoran Desert. The finish on the kit is Antique Pewter and the finish on the wood is my standard Stick Fast Wood Finish regimen.

Unfortunately the tube is 3.2 inches long which is a tenth of an inch longer than the quill travel on my drill press so I had to crank the table up in order to drill all the way through. It is also too long to fit on my sanding jig so I had to resort to using my carbide pen mill to square the blank with the tube.

I think it would have been stellar if the Turquoise on the kit was genuine instead of a Turquoise colored enamel, but in combination with the Antique Pewter finish it still makes an attractive looking pen. I love the grain pattern and colors of the Desert Ironwood. I will definitely be going after more of it - maybe more of the pen kits too.

Regards,
Dave

Multiple images attached to show the grain from different sides as the pen was rotated.
IMG_1698 Cropped.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1699 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_1699 Cropped.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1701 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_1701 Cropped.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1702 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_1702 Cropped.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 142
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad