A Sincere Plea To PSI About Your "Parker"-style Ballpoint Pen Kits In General

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

PSI ... Please design your "Parker"-style refill and accompanying spring in such a way that the spring is held by friction onto the refill.
(The spring should not fall off the refill when the refill is removed for replacement.)
The problem at present is that your spring has the same diameter at both ends, a diameter which is just a little too big.
Supplying a spring which is narrower at one end would be a solution. There's already a slight bump on the narrow part of the refill to grip such a spring.

Berea does this.

Dayacom does this.

I'm tired of losing springs on the floor, searching for them using a flashlight and a magnet, and offending my wife with my language as she helps in the search.

My customers and other pen recipients tell me the same thing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ironwood

I hear your frustration. I have a bag full of correct springs that I replace those loose springs with, though its an extra cost and inconvenience.
Luckily I don't use many kits that have the loose spring.

jttheclockman

Crimp one end. You will notice on most kits that have the smaller end is for a reason and if you turn the spring the wrong way it does not operate properly. Just about every cheap pen you ever got had a spring with the same size ends. Seems trivial.

Last edited:

Ironwood

Crimp one end. You will notice on most kits that have the smaller end is for a reason and if you turn the spring the wrong way it does not operate properly. Just about every cheap pen you ever got had a spring with the same size ends. Seems trivial.
I don't make cheap pens, so all mine go out the door with a spring that doesn't fall on the floor.
Some may not care, but I do.
It's the little things.

jttheclockman

I don't make cheap pens, so all mine go out the door with a spring that doesn't fall on the floor.
Some may not care, but I do.
It's the little things.
And how do you do that?? Maybe your words of wisdom can help the OP because not all kits come with a spring like that as mentioned.

jttheclockman

Last edited:

Ironwood

It looks like you have got it sorted there John.
Though Mals OP was about PSI supplying a more appropriate spring with the kits they sell, not about having to go to the extra expense and trouble of sourcing better springs from alternative suppliers yourself.
I bought my springs to use in my kitless bullet pens that I make, so I have them on hand to replace the odd dodgy spring I see now and then. We don't have many PSI resellers in Australia, so as a result I don't use their kits very often.

jttheclockman

Well Brad I tried to help in some small way. If Mal is complaining here it will fall on deaf ears and the best thing is to call them and make a request or a complaint. I know because I do it myself we come here to vent some times and if that is all it is then so be it. I am sure there are other vendors that sell seperate springs but as I said not all kits can use those and there are different sizes for different refills and kits so you have to be aware when ordering if anyone goes that route.

penicillin

Allow me to vent my frustrations:

* Sometimes the tiny spring is the only loose item in the entire pen kit bag. Everything but the spring is carefully placed in mini plastic bags. Usually the spring is positioned so that it will fly out when you open the outer bag. They must pack it last.
* I work on a patio next to a lawn. If a spring gets away from me, there is no hope of recovering it.
* Confession Time:
I accept those awful free giveaway advertising click pens and encourage my family to save them too. I want 'em only for the springs. Note that the springs from free pens are not always strong enough for PSI pen kit pens.

jttheclockman

* Sometimes the tiny spring is the only loose item in the entire pen kit bag. Everything but the spring is carefully placed in mini plastic bags. Usually the spring is positioned so that it will fly out when you open the outer bag. They must pack it last.
* I work on a patio next to a lawn. If a spring gets away from me, there is no hope of recovering it.
* Confession Time:
I accept those awful free giveaway advertising click pens and encourage my family to save them too. I want 'em only for the springs. Note that the springs from free pens are not always strong enough for PSI pen kit pens.

The old adage learn from your mistakes. But in case that does not work you may need one of these and will help in many ways.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Swe...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583726541138346&psc=1

magpens

* Confession Time:

I HEAR YOUR, Penicillin !! . I hope that you-know-who reads this thread !!

penicillin

The old adage learn from your mistakes. But in case that does not work you may need one of these and will help in many ways.
[link to magnetic sweeper, see above]
$68.99 will buy a lot of pen springs. I have seen roofers and carpenters use those magnetic sweepers.

I do try to learn from my mistakes. but sometimes we uncover new kinds of mistakes to replace the ones we fix.

Top Bottom