A Simple & Precise Pen Blank Sizing & Cutting Bandsaw Sled - From Shop Scraps!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Well, for a while now, I've been trying to find a simpler and accurate way to cut my pen blanks. Thus far, I have been spending time to mark up each blank with various lines, through a process of placing the tube(s) on the blank, shifting them by an approximate 1/8" or so, etc. etc. The process works, but its a bit tedious, and it takes a more time than I want it to.

I originally was thinking about building a table-top sizing jig or tool that would make it easier to align the blank and the tube, and then add some extra length to the tube to allow for issues during drill exit and the like. All of those little experiments just didn't give me what I was looking for in the end, really...

So, the last few days, I've scrounged up some various scraps of wood from around my shop, and set about designing a very simple but precise and consistent spring-loaded blank sizing and cutting jig and sled. The general idea is very simple: Create a zero-clearance cutting board on some miter track rails, with a strait stop block, that I could align a blank and a tube on for accurate sizing cutting...and repeat cutting! If I'm making several of a given kind of pen is where my prior measuring and marking process got very tedious. I wanted something accurate, consistent and extremely easy. After some doodling on some graph paper, I ended up with this as my first draft of the concept:

Blank Cutting Jig - Rough Design.jpg

The key was finding some way to make sure that the distance from the bandsaw blade to the end of the blank, was the same length as the tube. I eventually settled on the C-shaped "bracket" or spacing apparatus you see in the drawing above. The length of this apparatus could vary, depending on exactly how long of blank segments you needed to cut...in my case, this one can cut up to around 4 1/4" blanks, which I think would be sufficient for all the pen kits I currently have, including the longwood pencil kits (which use the longest blank i know of). If you needed to but longer blanks, such as for kitless/bespoke pens, you could just increase the length of the C Bracket.

Blank Cutting Jig - Spring Loaded Detail.jpg

The original design was good as a foundation, but in the long run I ended up deciding to add a spring, so I could put a simple load on the tube allowing me to focus on holding the blank itself in place while cutting. Once I had added the spring, I realized that for longer tubes, the force there tended to want to pull up the C Bracket and snap it back. I ended up adding the final piece of the design that you can see in the photos: a simple clamp made out of a few scraps of the MDF whiteboard/blackboard stuff I'd picked up a while back and had sitting around in strips just about the right size. The C Bracket slipped under the lip of that little clamp once it was glued on, and that held it in place no matter how much stress was put on the spring.

Blank Cutting Jig - Spring Extended.jpg

You may notice another small detail in these two photos...a spacer added between the two blocks that the spring attaches to. In this case its about 1/8th inch, or maybe 3/16ths. This is just a simple piece of wood or MDF. You could use a 1/16th inch spacer if you wish. In any case, this allows you to either cut exactly-sized blanks, or add some additional length to account for the splintering that may occur when the drill exits the back side of the blank (sometimes with normal bits, I rarely encounter this when using bradpoints), or to add some extra length (say even 1/4") to support drilling most of the way through, then just trimming off the excess (such as with trustone and similar materials.) For those final cuts...if you use a 1/4" spacer to initially cut the blank, then use say a 1/16" spacer to cut off the excess, you can get very accurate blank sizing after cutting the hole, which minimizes the amount of additional blank squaring you need to do. Added bonus of the design of this jig!

Blank Cutting Jig - Final Result.jpg

The final result is a simple, small and easy to handle, spring-loaded blank sizing and cutting sled. As you can see in the photos here, in addition to the spring-loaded sizing feature, I added some miter-track rails made out of simple wood finished on johnson's paste wax, with a length across the back of those to act as a sled stop (to prevent cutting all the way through the stop block, or the entire sled), and a couple more pieces of scrap to act as handles for pushing and retracting.

Blank Cutting Jig - Setup.jpg

Blank Cutting Jib - In Action.jpg

The results of cutting the cap blanks for a set of chrome Barons I am currently working on:

Blank Cutting Jig - Results.jpg

Sized exactly to the tube length plus the spacer! A small video of it in action can be found here:

If you have all the parts, including some wood or other material to use for the miter rails, the build should only take a couple of hours tops (much less if you are more skilled with this stuff than I am!) Exact sizing outside of the C Bracket doesn't matter all that much. Accurately squaring the stop block is important to ensure 90 degree cuts on the blank, as is accurately placing the stop inside the C Bracket for the brass tube to ensure that any offset the tube introduces to the C Bracket is exactly the same as the resulting distance from the blade to the outer edge of the C Bracket, but otherwise you don't have to get too much into the weeds in terms of design details with this one!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

I think I saw a commercially made one of these a while back, but it's much more satisfying to make your own. Now I feel so archaic, though. I have a stop block (read as scrap piece of 2x4) that I manually clamp to the back side of a DIY table saw sled with an F clamp. I set the tube on, eyeball a little extra, clamp and saw (with another scrap to hold it in place to keep the fingers out of the way. I do really want to make something more accurate for segmenting.

jrista

I think I saw a commercially made one of these a while back, but it's much more satisfying to make your own. Now I feel so archaic, though. I have a stop block (read as scrap piece of 2x4) that I manually clamp to the back side of a DIY table saw sled with an F clamp. I set the tube on, eyeball a little extra, clamp and saw (with another scrap to hold it in place to keep the fingers out of the way. I do really want to make something more accurate for segmenting.
Yeah, its fun thinking on the design of a jig, and figuring out the optimal solution. First attempt was pretty funny, as the spring would try to launch the C bracket and/or brass tube. :p I've been using it for around an hour and a half here, and it works really well. Managed to slice up six sets of blanks of three to five pens each. As simple as the design is, and for being imprecisely hacked together from a bunch of scrap, its actually a really good tool! SO much nicer getting all my blanks sized and cut this way. Wish I'd done this a year ago...

jrista

Very clever! I like this jig. Definitely on my list of things to make soon.
Its a fun and rather quick little build. If you do build it, and make any improvements, let me know! I think I ended up with a bit too much clearance below the board (between the board and the bandsaw table). I am wondering if there is any way I could trim off a little bit of the excess now. I may also see if I can slip another piece of the MDF underneath to soak up some of the space. Anyway, this is probably the most useful sled/jig I've built so far. I haven't really built all that many, but this one is IMMENSELY useful.

I did find a commercial thing that is similar:

This was similar to what I originally started with. The problem I had before I introduced the spring is that without also holding the back of the C bracket to keep pressure on the tube, pushing the pen blank in at the other end tended to shift things. So you had to keep one hand on the blank, one hand on the tube, and then pushing the sled in became problematic.

Addition of the spring takes care of keeping pressure on the tube, meaning you can push the pen blank up against that end of the C bracket, and it won't move (or if it does, it comes right back). That leaves a hand free for actually pushing the sled.

mobyturns

Definitely over thinking the solution. ;)

I use a simple sled with wide flat fence, with a fence mounted toggle clamp and a stop block. Costs a little more than two screws and a spring though. 🙂

Actually two toggle clamps, one for the work piece the other to hold the stop block in place, fast adjustment, simply use the tube + a spacer for the trim allowance, or a series of blocks cut to length for each tube + allowance length..

Last edited:

egnald

Isn't designing and building jigs almost more fun than actually using them. My version uses a puck that slides back and forth on a piece of T-Track with the tube on one side and the blank on the other. The whole thing rides in the miter slot on my bandsaw.

Dave

IMG_2014 Cropped.jpg

jttheclockman

I agree with Geoff. It could not be simpler than a sled with a stop block that you set up for any size tube and add just a tad bit for ends. Now jigs at times can be a fun project in themselves so maybe that is your goal. But the phrase KISS many times applies to many things in life. That is why you will see many of my jigs so crude and not some fancy woods and beautiful sanding and finishes on them. If it gets the job done then success has been achieved. I have more jigs floating around the shop that half of them I have no idea what they were made from and probably when I need one again I happen to make it over.

I have several projects on the burner that will require the slicing of billiardballs. I am still trying to figure out a jig to do this safely and true. The biggest problem is the size of the billiardballs varies due to the nature of the project I want to make. From 2-1/4" down to 1". Holding a round slippery object is challenging. If there are ideas out there glad to hear them. I do slice golf balls but that is easier because they have some tact from the dimples on them. I can not wait till I can get back in the shop. That is where I belong.

Last edited:

jrista

Definitely over thinking the solution. ;)

I use a simple sled with wide flat fence, with a fence mounted toggle clamp and a stop block. Costs a little more than two screws and a spring though. 🙂

Actually two toggle clamps, one for the work piece the other to hold the stop block in place, fast adjustment, simply use the tube + a spacer for the trim allowance, or a series of blocks cut to length for each tube + allowance length..
I have a sled like this. It is what I built and was using before I built this (I have a thread on that as well, and it was a lot more expensive than this one). It is not as easy to adjust the length of the blank being cut with it.

With this new sled you pop out the tube, pop in another, and are immediately and accurately set up for the cut plus whatever spacer you have in there. I don't have to worry about slides, clamps, or anything like that. No manual adjustments or fiddling of any kind.

I would also argue that this thing I've built is not complicated by any means. It requires no T-track or Miter track on it, it requires no clamps, there is nothing particularly special about it. The goal was perfect repeatability without any real effort...and a slidable stop block on a track of some kind is just not the same. The design of this allows PERFECT repeatability, every single time, regardless of pen kit, does not require the creation of spacer blocks to act as stand-ins or anything like that...it uses the actual pen kit tubes. Raw speed and accuracy with perfect repeatability was the goal. I think I engineered it pretty darn simply for what it does. It wasn't necessarily intended to be the simpleEST...just simple.

Building this thing was mindblowingly simple. In fact, its a spring, 6 screws, and 4 t-nuts, along with a few pieces of scrap wood. The most complicated part of it is the C-shaped bracket, which took a bit of clever cutting. Outside of that, everything else is just pieces of wood aligned and glued in place.

Last edited:

jrista

Isn't designing and building jigs almost more fun than actually using them. My version uses a puck that slides back and forth on a piece of T-Track with the tube on one side and the blank on the other. The whole thing rides in the miter slot on my bandsaw.

Dave

View attachment 339670
Very nice! I like the design where the ruler measures the length of the tube accurately.

And yes, designing and bulding jigs is sometimes more fun than using them! ;) After the first few, your head starts turning every time you encounter a new problem: What kind of jig can I build to make THIS easier!

Top Bottom