A Simple CSUSA Patriot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

Certainly nothing to write home about (actually that is quite funny). I bought the blank from one of our esteemed casters (but don't remember who).
I turned the overall barrel to make a thinner profile. I started (for about a year now) adding a CA finish to all of my non-woods. I believe it serves as a car's coat and make the shine easier for me to restore. Enjoy the weekend!
Purple Patriot.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Thanks for showing. I have one or two Alumilite turned blanks I'm thinking of doing a treatment with GuBoost on.
About a year ago, I had so much CA and wanted to use it up. The only downside is having to finish/ sand the pen twice. It takes me an extra 15 minutes. I do find that it is easier to restore its shine.

Last edited:

TonyL

Thank you. I find the satin finish to appeals to guys, gals, theys etc.

Alchemist

About a year ago, I had so much CA and wanted to use it up. The only downside is having to finish/ sand the pen twice. It takes me an extra 15 minutes. I do find that it is easier to restore its shine.
I'm always torn between adding CA to non-wood pens, myself. It does take more time to sand and buff, but it is easy to just throw a CA finish on the wheels and shine it up.
It's lovely work! Thanks for sharing!

jrista

Nice pen, Tony. Interesting kit...I don't think I've seen that one before. Its called a Patriot?

Regarding CA on no-wood...does the CA shine up better overall? I've wondered about using CA to fix bubble holes, which I sometimes run into with resin blanks (not really acrylics, but alumalite and some other resins, I sometimes still run into bubbles, especially if there was something embedded in the resin, like pinecone or cactus.)

TonyL

I'm always torn between adding CA to non-wood pens, myself. It does take more time to sand and buff, but it is easy to just throw a CA finish on the wheels and shine it up.
It's lovely work! Thanks for sharing!
I bought so much of it on-sale that I needed to use it up. Now, I am accustomed to the added depth of shine. Yes...it i is test of my patience to finish twice. Thank you for the compliment.

TonyL

Nice pen, Tony. Interesting kit...I don't think I've seen that one before. Its called a Patriot?

Regarding CA on no-wood...does the CA shine up better overall? I've wondered about using CA to fix bubble holes, which I sometimes run into with resin blanks (not really acrylics, but alumalite and some other resins, I sometimes still run into bubbles, especially if there was something embedded in the resin, like pinecone or cactus.)
In my opinion, there is no doubt that it adds depth to the shine. I subjectively believe it reflects more light, but I am able to achieve a very good shine without it. It is easier to restore the reflective shine with it. Think if it as a clear coat for your car.

If you like the Patriot (yes, CSUSA sells it; PSI has a similar one, but the bushings are not exactly the same) . I will send you some very accurate SS TBC bushings if you want, but they only fit the Patriot. A machinist family member made a bunch for me.

Given my "ban" on buying more PSI kits, I started making these for gals and they like them. I simply turn them more "slimly". Guys also like them, but I make them bolder/fatter. See below. I this years ago. Candy Apple red acrylic (no CA). I have no idea why the thumbnails arte different sizes. If a hole or dimple is deep, I use Solarez.
Purple Rhinoplast Patriot edited.jpg1_Spalted Hackleberry Patriot.jpgPatriot Satin Nickel with Candy Apple Red Brooks Blank.jpg

jrista

The red acrylic looks excellent. Red goes so well with the silver.

I may pick some of these up down the road...I've been suffering from buytoomuchitis disease lately, so....lol, I have more than enough pens to turn and make at the moment. :D

Tony, did you ever find a snap cap two-segment pen that you liked?

sorcerertd

I think it may have been you that I saw mention the CA on resin in the past, Tony. I agree with you both on the pain of double finishing and more depth. Alumilite doesn't seem to hold a high gloss well. I think the CA also evens out those subtle raises/dips in the surface with hybrids(and even on some resins where different colors meet up.

I like this pen. Simple is not a bad thing. It's a beautiful blank. I bought a couple of those kits at EB a while back, then got caught up with doing Jr's. One of these days I'll get tthem done.

TonyL

The red acrylic looks excellent. Red goes so well with the silver.

I may pick some of these up down the road...I've been suffering from buytoomuchitis disease lately, so....lol, I have more than enough pens to turn and make at the moment. :D

Tony, did you ever find a snap cap two-segment pen that you liked?
My next purchase will be the conservative rollerball. It concerns me that it is very inexpensive, and I don't like the clip, but I will give it a shot. I have the rare earth magnet types, but wanted to try a snap cap.

Conservative RB

sorcerertd

My next purchase will be the conservative rollerball. It concerns me that it is very inexpensive, and I don't like the clip, but I will give it a shot. I have the rare earth magnet types, but wanted to try a snap cap.

Conservative RB
The section and nib are plastic. That being said, I do like using them and have been doing so journaling with a Pilot precise V7.

I did a review in the review forum. The only thing I would only ammend it with is that the spring will fall out after all, and that the tube is the correct length for the fountain pen version, but still needs to be shortened to 53mm for the RB.

TonyL

The section and nib are plastic. That being said, I do like using them and have been doing so journaling with a Pilot precise V7.

I did a review in the review forum. The only thing I would only ammend it with is that the spring will fall out after all, and that the tube is the correct length for the fountain pen version, but still needs to be shortened to 53mm for the RB.
well that explains the price . thx for the advice

Kcimdrib

Great looking Pens Tony you always seem to get that little bit extra from the Kits.
Like them thanks for showing.
Mike

Top Bottom