A Simple American Yew Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My personal schedule has become a bit more accommodating, and I found my shop and lathe just where I suspected they would be. I have done very little turning the past two years, so I need to get my muscle memory back, and adjust to some health issues.

So, a few months back I cut down two evergreen bushes alongside my driveway. The best guess was that they were a variety of Yew. I waxed all the ends, but did cut up one branch into pen blank size, and also waxed. I took one blank and turned it round, then also waxed the ends. Over the last few months, this blank did warp slightly (would not roll on an incline), but did not crack (I had cut the Pith out). When the moisture read at 7% I decided to see if it is worth the effort. I am very pleased. Comments/critique are welcomed! Kit: Blade. Finish: A poor Danish Oil and CA finish (just need more practice).

4E47BD9D-C867-44B2-8817-1D6EA24C7E01_1_201_a.jpeg
5E7CE1BF-066B-47BF-99D4-B6F23AE923C3_1_201_a.jpeg

Attachments

• 03E380A2-BAFF-49BD-8FDB-ACF8A4B48888.jpeg
    03E380A2-BAFF-49BD-8FDB-ACF8A4B48888.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 3F3A823C-E354-4E0A-A8BF-5FEFA9044E03.jpeg
    3F3A823C-E354-4E0A-A8BF-5FEFA9044E03.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 129
  • A2EC2CF2-FBA2-4240-B597-A1BA7A4E9BF5.jpeg
    A2EC2CF2-FBA2-4240-B597-A1BA7A4E9BF5.jpeg
    386.3 KB · Views: 135
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Great to see you back turning, Mark, and you have certainly blown the cobwebs off the lathe now.
Lovely clean piece of yew, well turned in a kit that I am unfamiliar with.
I prefer your finish to high shine anyway.
Keep on keeping on.
Alan

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Great to see you back turning, Mark, and you have certainly blown the cobwebs off the lathe now.
Lovely clean piece of yew, well turned in a kit that I am unfamiliar with.
I prefer your finish to high shine anyway.
Keep on keeping on.
Alan
Thanks Alan. It's interesting comparing the Yew you sent me with what I have. Both are very beautiful and have subtle colors. And I also like this finish. I have rarely used an oil to bring out the colors before a CA, but I may do this more often.

Be well.
Like that wood a simple design but an elegant Pen. Well done.
I am getting back slowly. Simple is better for a while. I am pleased with this. the transitions are decent and the finish is acceptable, so I'm good. Next few will hopefully get better.
As Mr Vic said . . . YOU " nailed it Mark ! "

Well done . . . and welcome back the realm of the "lathe-active" ! !
My lathe was ready and waiting. Not much shop time the past 24 months, so I'm looking forward to being a bit more active. It felt nice to see the blank on the mandrel.

jrista

Beautiful pen! The wood provides wonderful contrast to the gunmetal and chrome of the kit. It does seem like a yew...has that rich amber color.

Fine Engineer

A craftsman after my own heart; all wood is potential project material!
This example is very elegant. A simple pen for an understated wood. The two go very well together. The warm tones are particularly appealing in this. I agree with the others here, very nice work.

Jeff

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I think it's just beautiful. You and CA??? What happened?
Just getting back to doing a reasonable CA finish. This looks nice from the pictures, but several close-in's reveal flaws. I'm not concerned. I have a bunch of these branches/blanks for you Chuck, and Ernie if he wants. All is well. I'll be at my FIL's in a week, so a quick trip is very feasible.

Top Bottom