A Shiny Round Square Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Nothing fancy I'm afraid... This didn't even start out as a pen, I was just practicing a theory of mine about holding square stock accurately in a three jaw scroll chuck on my metal lathe.( I used my adaptor faceplate of my 4 jaw chuck for another project so it was out of action. )
Anyway....it worked out fairly accurately and this is the result. A 3 piece, double closed ended rollerball pen in stainless ( of course !! :biggrin: )

Maybe this is the kick-start I need to get back into pen making :wink:

The third pic simply shows the step and recess that I think is necessary ( IMHO ) between the pen and cap. It's on every kit pen but often not done on some kitless pens I've seen recently.

Attachments

• Square Round 1.JPG
    Square Round 1.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 401
  • Square Round 2.JPG
    Square Round 2.JPG
    301.8 KB · Views: 409
  • Square Round 3.JPG
    Square Round 3.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 392
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Superb, Skip !!!! (.... nothing fancy, he says, but I think it is superb !! )

Last edited:

JohnU

I Like It! A very nice transaction from square to round and a flawless finish, as usual. Nice to see you turning again!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Wow! I am glad I checked in. It's good to see one of us is still functional. I REALLY like this one Steven. Very nice!

Yes.....the STEP :rolleyes: I am guilty of being one who, doesn't usually do that. But, now I see that I should. :biggrin: Thanks for sharing pal!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks guys :biggrin:

Here's what the actual practice session was about... ( before it became a pen )

I'm pretty sure this method is used by many people but as I have about 10 meters of the square stock, I figured I'd actually measure it for future reference, instead of just eye-balling it....:rolleyes:

1. Clamp your square stock in the chuck. ( keep the same jaw orientated)
2. Rotate chuck so lowest stock surface just touches cutter.
3. Rotate chuck 180 and measure gap between cutter and stock
4. Select feeler gauges to match half the gap
5. Fit the feeler gauges under the stock on the same jaw.
6. Test

Attachments

• 1 Square Stock on lower jaw.JPG
    1 Square Stock on lower jaw.JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 202
  • 2 Cutter just touches lower stock surface.JPG
    2 Cutter just touches lower stock surface.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 3 rotate chuck and measure gap.JPG
    3 rotate chuck and measure gap.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 4 Half gap in feeler gauges.JPG
    4 Half gap in feeler gauges.JPG
    368.3 KB · Views: 260
  • 5 Check with dial gauge.JPG
    5 Check with dial gauge.JPG
    313.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 6 Spot on.JPG
    6 Spot on.JPG
    302.8 KB · Views: 200

jttheclockman

Makes one chuckle. Notice the likes count here Skip. Whenever you post a pen the replys do mount up. I am sure it has to do with your smiling personality:biggrin: and how everyone loves you :)smile::):) inside joke)

Guess what I am saying is people gravitate to your posts and the pens you make so give the fans what they want. Must be tough being a rock star:eek:

Nice pen.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Gee...JT, thanks........I think:wink:

You have made one of the very nicest pens ever seen on IAP, so if you want to see the 'likes' mount up for you again then get off the damned keyboard and into your hobbit hole...:wink:

I reckon your post was in jest, but you know it touches a nerve being told that my work is liked more because of my supposed popularity rather than on any craftsmanship I may or may not have. :wink:

I think you know that I was once told that the only reason I won a contest or two was solely due to my popularity........I haven't entered a contest since.

Now, why don't we go make a pen or two....:biggrin:

jttheclockman

Gee...JT, thanks........I think:wink:

You have made one of the very nicest pens ever seen on IAP, so if you want to see the 'likes' mount up for you again then get off the damned keyboard and into your hobbit hole...:wink:

I reckon your post was in jest, but you know it touches a nerve being told that my work is liked more because of my supposed popularity rather than on any craftsmanship I may or may not have. :wink:

I think you know that I was once told that the only reason I won a contest or two was solely due to my popularity........I haven't entered a contest since.

Now, why don't we go make a pen or two....:biggrin:

Skip you know the comment was in jest. We have had this one before.

The people here have spoken and they want more pens from you so when you say you may have made your last pen as you did recently they are not accepting this. Good job on the pen.

As far as me I have told you this and said it many times here I wish I can get back into the shop. I have not been in my shop for almost 1 year now. I am hoping this will change soon. So till then this keyboard is all I have to try to keep my desire to make pens again, alive. I am rooting for you all the way. You are an inspiration here. :) Keep up the great work.

Top Bottom