A segmented disappointment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveJ

SteveJ

Although I am sure many will disagree (my family thinks it looks great) the look of this pen is not what I was going for. It was mean to give a box illusion. The "boxes" are done with maple, walnut and bubinga - (I chose the bubinga by mistake, I thought it was padauk). So although the end result isn't bad, it isn't what I was aiming for. The black and white is from a "Gisi" sheet The caps and sides are padauk. The kit is a Caballero from Exotic Blanks.

The "boxes" are endgrain. I guess I will have to see if I can figure out how to do them with face grain instead or at least choose padauk instead of bubinga.

Illusion 1.jpg
Illusion 2.jpg
Illusion 3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
You and your family are both correct (I will side with your family ;) ).

- It is not what you intended - you are correct.
- It looks excellent - your family is correct.

I really like the finished pen/blank. Nothing to really critique, visually appealing. Not what you wanted - OK, but a mighty fine design nonetheless - well done.

Keep at the Illusion Design!

KMCloonan

Before I read your post, I jumped to the pictures, and was amazed at the box illusion - they look deep! Then I read your post. I'm with Mark. I agree with your family, but completely understand your perspective if the pen does not turn out as you intended. Very cool nonetheless!

SteveJ

Thanks for the kind comments. The first blank I created with this design blew up. I spent an inordinate amount of time moving from concept to completed pen. I had hoped to have a box to put on the finial, but the boxes on this rendition were too small.

zig314159

My "best" or even "good" efforts are not even close to your "disappointment". Very impressive, thank you for sharing and inspiring.

TDahl

I think you finished product is absolutely stunning. It seems strange when our finish pieces don't out the way we expected, we immediately think they are failures rather than seeing the true beauty they actually are. Well done, and thank you for sharing.

wood128

Great looking pen Steve !! Excellent work but not totally what you expected, I have on a shelf just above my computer about 25-30 segmented pen blanks that I label FAILURES !! THey are all learning experiences . For your 3D blocks , just miter 45 degrees the bottom and left pieces and make them different woods . I will try one and let you know if it works.

SteveJ

That's what I did, using bubinga and walnut, but since both were end grain they ended up looking almost identical. For the next one I will either try for face grain or replace the bubinga with padauk.
Great looking pen Steve !! Excellent work but not totally what you expected, I have on a shelf just above my computer about 25-30 segmented pen blanks that I label FAILURES !! THey are all learning experiences . For your 3D blocks , just miter 45 degrees the bottom and left pieces and make them different woods . I will try one and let you know if it works.

Top Bottom