A Salute to the Army

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

I've been playing around with this idea for a while now and finally got some finished. They are made from authentic Army uniform buttons. The first is a sierra that went to my dad, who served in the army in 1968-1970. The second set of carbines went to a friends two boys. They are military history buffs and were all eyes when they came over and seen me working on them. The last pic is of the variety of bolt action blanks I made while playing with the idea. I just haven't have time to turn them all. The other branches of the military will be next. All comments welcome. Thanks!

Sierra Army Button.jpg bolt action army pair 1.JPG Bolt Action    Army Button      Group.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
John, those are beautiful. If you can get the dimensions to be able to turn with the buttons intact, that is an awesome achievement - and apparently accomplished!

Very, very nice. šŸ‘

Gorgeous!!! These are a tribute to those that served and are very unique to say the least. Will you be making these blanks available for others to purchase? If so, I'll need 3 Navy blanks and 1 Air Force blank. Name your price. I don't turn much acrylic so I'll have my friend Chuck turn them for me. I'm also assuming these are the .30 cal bolt action from PSI done in 24 kt Gold? These are above and beyond, great job!

JohnU

Thanks for the nice comments! I actually cut the button back to fit the allowed space. I had to leave a little taper in the Sierra as to not hit the button. The raised surface needs a little room.
I cant take individual orders with so much going on but Ed and Dawn will be selling them at Exoticblanks as I get them made. Currently my shop is being relocated due to my sons new basement game room so I'm speed thin and can't find where anything is. Lol

jttheclockman

Great idea John and nice work. I have been working on a similar idea and need to get back to this now that you gave me some inspiration. Just so much going on. I am sure they will be sellers for you. Good luck and thanks for showing.

magpens

VERY well done, John !!!

Quite remarkable that you got the buttons to appropriate size/thickness.

Congratulations on the concept and implementation !!

mg_dreyer

Those look great. I cannot image the amount of work getting them to lay so perfectly on the tube. Your blanks are always a cut above. I like the idea also - something I have never seen.

Congrats.

JohnU

Thanks for all the comments! There's a lot of time involved with cutting and bending, but it's always fun to work with something new. A guy can only look at so many feathers. šŸ¤Ŗ

those look amazing!!!

My dad passed in January and he was a Korean War veteran, US Army. I located a few of his ribbons and medals. This gives me hope that something can be done with them in memorial to him.

Top Bottom