A PSI DuraClick - Considerably Modified

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from magpens

magpens

The PSI DuraClick pen kit was introduced about a year and a half ago. . It uses a Parker-style refill.
I would say that its major novel feature is that it employs the Schmidt SKM-88 all-metal click mechanism, a first for click pen kits. .
This click mech. is very quiet and very smooth in operation. It can be purchased separately from a couple of sources for making kitless click pens.
There was quite a bit of enthusiasm at the time PSI introduced this pen kit, and there still is, I think largely because of the click mechanism.
However, there were some reservations expressed with regard to the overall appearance of the completed kit pen.

I have made some modifications to the kit. . My objectives were to :
(1) reduce the lengths of the knurled sections,
(2) reduce the exposed length of the Schmidt click mech.,
(3) increase the length of the user-provided blank ( 3.85" up from 2.77" )
(4) allow the blank to be shaped (eg. bulged slightly) instead of being straight-sided as dictated by the original design.

I'll just present some pictures and leave it to you to tell me what you like and don't like.
Your comments are strongly encouraged and will be valued.

The modifications I made require some care, patience and accuracy.
I do all of my pen turning on a metal-working lathe (Sieg 7x14).
The modifications could probably also be done on a wood lathe but perhaps with more difficulty.

The first picture shows both a DuraClick in its an original form (top) as well as my modified DuraClick.
On the original I have used a vintage cellulose acetate blank for the barrel, which is straight-sided.
On the modified pen I have used a vintage Crushed Velvet blank, which is slightly bulged.

IMG_1464CR.JPG

This next picture shows the modified pen with its refill retracted.

IMG_1457CR.JPG

The third picture is another view of the modified pen with its refill extended.

IMG_1461CR.jpg

You will notice that I have not yet put a clip on the modified pen. The clip provided with the pen kit is much too stiff in my opinion and I don't yet have an alternative.
When I do have a suitable clip, it can go at the top end where the black ring is presently positioned.

Also, I have retained the refill extender which is part of the original kit design. This extender is 0.5" long. It can easily be left out if the barrel is shortened by that much.
I actually prefer a pen without the refill extender (which can get lost) but I left it in for the sake of a closer comparison in the first picture.

You may also notice a slight bulge to the pen barrel. . I prefer this shape to a straight-sided barrel. This pen is 0.55" in diameter whereas the knurled metal part is 0.45" diam, which would be the size of a straight-sided implementation dictated by the original kit as in the top picture.

So there you have it. . Please let me know what you think about it. . Any suggestions for further modifications ?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Personally I like what you've done here Mal. I like the shortened coupler that the tip screws into and the toned down clip mechanism. What you've done high-lites the blank which I prefer to look at instead of a bunch of metal. This pen, the original, is my EDC and I would prefer more blank than the kit metal but I don't own a metal lathe so I live with how it turns out. I also prefer my blank to have a slight bulge in the middle like you've got here, it feels better in my hand and gives me the feeling of stability, even if there is not more in another style pen. Good job...I like it.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hey, that's pretty cool Mal! Well done, I like it too. I'd like to see it with the clip on and please can you expand a bit on 'the black ring' reference? Do you have any concerns about the platings peeling from the end of the shortened parts?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Excellent modifications Mal. Both are excellent, and I always like seeing more of beautiful blanks.

Thanks for the details. 👍

magpens

Hey, that's pretty cool Mal! Well done, I like it too. I'd like to see it with the clip on and please can you expand a bit on 'the black ring' reference? Do you have any concerns about the platings peeling from the end of the shortened parts?
Thanks, Steven ( @skiprat ).
Fortunately, there are no platings on the DuraClicks ... they are raw metal; in the case of this mod the base kit is aluminium. . The other example that I showed (top pic) is brass (again no plating). . I think that the "no plating" applies to the other options for DuraClicks as well.

Regarding "the black ring" ... that's at the very top of the barrel, surrounding the hole that the click mech button pokes through. . I put it there because it gives the pen a more finished appearance in the absence of a clip with its associated clip ring.

Now, about the clip ..... you really want to see one ? . Hmmm .... I thought I could count on your support of my going clipless ............
Well, I guess I have to see what I can do about that. . I have some ideas, so stay tuned. . If you are familiar with the Artisan Long Clicker pen kit from Craft Supplies USA (forget their odd website name, but it is not that), I was thinking of a clip from the gunmetal version of that kit.
I could modify the top end of "my design" to make the black ring a bit thicker and incorporate a recess for the clip's ring. . However, she might prefer a design with a larger brass tube. . Mine's still based on the 8 mm brass tube used in the DuraClick, although that could possibly be changed ..... why not ?
As a matter of fact, I like the Long Clicker except for the fact that its click mechanism is so rough to the feel and noisy to the ear.
It has a barrel length which is much the same as "my" design. . @Toni very much likes the Long Clicker as a "frame" for her clay pen blanks and she might even be interested in "my" design. . I wonder if she'd insist on a clip .... I hope she sees this thread and expresses an opinion on that.

BTW .... one idea that came to mind while I was doing these modifications was that you can go completely kitless, retaining the screw-in nose cone concept (or similar) and the SKM-88 clicker, and then do what you like in between ... change brass tube diameter to suit whatever. . I know that this is not really such a novel idea, but you can let me think it is if you want to !! .

Last edited:

Dehn0045

Very nice! I always like a longer blank when possible. I think a small bit of knurled metal on the click end would balance the appearance (clip might have a similar effect). Great concept and execution!

magpens

@Dehn0045
Thanks, Sam. . Yes, you're right ... leaving a little knurling at the top would balance the bottom, and that actually was a thought.
But as discoveries about the internal sizings of the pieces were made during the turning process, that proved impossible.
I will think again about doing that but it could be inconsistent with other objectives.

Last edited:

socdad

Outstanding modification Mal! I like the longer blank. I agree with Dehn0045, a little of knurled metal on the click end might balance the appearance. Defiantly an upgrade from the PSI design, well done.

magpens

Awwww !! ..... THANKS, you guys !!! .... I pat your backs and you pat mine !!! .... that's the way it works, isn't it ? ... 😀 😀 ;)

Glad that you all seem to understand that this isn't the end of a finished story ...... There never is a finished ending ..... Right ??

You just get to a point where you can't think of what to do next ..... so you present what you've done so far, and hope for the bext !! . (rhymes)

So what does come next ? ..... possibly a Version 2 which bears considerably less resemblance to the motivating DuraClick "design".

I think I will make my own nose-cone coupling, do away with the knurling completely, "design" complementary nib and finial pieces,
and leave out the constraining brass tube. . In that way, I won't have to pay tribute to the "DuraClick" name and can claim some originality.

Fact is, I do not like knurling ( apologies to you Knurl GT fanatics ! ). . Seems to me it is a "cover-up" of sorts. . A cover-up for design flaws, as well as a cover-up for the inevitable future scratches on polished aluminium. . Besides, I do not own a knurling tool.

Oh ... and I've decided to leave off the clip forever ... hoping to eventually legitimize a new style of amateur pen-making called "Clipless".

I really admire you guys who make your own clips, but at the same time I recognize and accept my limitations and constraints (left unstated).

So ... Onward and Downward !! ... Goodbye "DuraClick" !! . With further thought, you weren't really necessary at all, but "Thanks for the ride !"

Dieseldoc

Mal:

Don't know about clipless, as clip has two functions, one for retaining in a pocket and keeping it from rolling off the counter.
For my vote, got to have a clip, Old school maybe!!!!!

Cheers my friend

Charlie

magpens

@Dieseldoc
Oh, yeah, Charlie ... thanks !! ... forgot about the "roll factor" ... but I could add a roll-stop. . That's something I could make ... easier than a clip.

CjG78

The PSI DuraClick pen kit was introduced about a year and a half ago. . It uses a Parker-style refill.
I would say that its major novel feature is that it employs the Schmidt SKM-88 all-metal click mechanism, a first for click pen kits. .
This click mech. is very quiet and very smooth in operation. It can be purchased separately from a couple of sources for making kitless click pens.
There was quite a bit of enthusiasm at the time PSI introduced this pen kit, and there still is, I think largely because of the click mechanism.
However, there were some reservations expressed with regard to the overall appearance of the completed kit pen.

I have made some modifications to the kit. . My objectives were to :
(1) reduce the lengths of the knurled sections,
(2) reduce the exposed length of the Schmidt click mech.,
(3) increase the length of the user-provided blank ( 3.85" up from 2.77" )
(4) allow the blank to be shaped (eg. bulged slightly) instead of being straight-sided as dictated by the original design.

I'll just present some pictures and leave it to you to tell me what you like and don't like.
Your comments are strongly encouraged and will be valued.

The modifications I made require some care, patience and accuracy.
I do all of my pen turning on a metal-working lathe (Sieg 7x14).
The modifications could probably also be done on a wood lathe but perhaps with more difficulty.

The first picture shows both a DuraClick in its an original form (top) as well as my modified DuraClick.
On the original I have used a vintage cellulose acetate blank for the barrel, which is straight-sided.
On the modified pen I have used a vintage Crushed Velvet blank, which is slightly bulged.

View attachment 240649

This next picture shows the modified pen with its refill retracted.

View attachment 240650

The third picture is another view of the modified pen with its refill extended.

View attachment 240652

You will notice that I have not yet put a clip on the modified pen. The clip provided with the pen kit is much too stiff in my opinion and I don't yet have an alternative.
When I do have a suitable clip, it can go at the top end where the black ring is presently positioned.

Also, I have retained the refill extender which is part of the original kit design. This extender is 0.5" long. It can easily be left out if the barrel is shortened by that much.
I actually prefer a pen without the refill extender (which can get lost) but I left it in for the sake of a closer comparison in the first picture.

You may also notice a slight bulge to the pen barrel. . I prefer this shape to a straight-sided barrel. This pen is 0.55" in diameter whereas the knurled metal part is 0.45" diam, which would be the size of a straight-sided implementation dictated by the original kit as in the top picture.

So there you have it. . Please let me know what you think about it. . Any suggestions for further modifications ?
Beautiful mate!!

Top Bottom