A "plain" wood pen (no segments!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveJ

SteveJ

I know it isn't really "plain" wood - but I usually post segmented pens!

Burl 1.JPG

Burl 2.JPG

Burl.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

I don't actually know what kind of wood it is. I couldn't get a good color match in the picture. In real life it is a bit more grey than brown. It is a stabilized blank which I think is maple burl, although it isn't as light as I would expect maple to be.

Dieseldoc

Steve: Very nicely done with a good looking pen on a great piece of timber. You know sometimes we just need to change our style of pen's ever so often, you did great work on this one.

Lucky2

Steve, it is a very nice looking pen, but, why didn't you fill the small knot that can be seen in pic #2? It is not a major flaw, but it does take away from the pen.

Len

SteveJ

Steve, it is a very nice looking pen, but, why didn't you fill the small knot that can be seen in pic #2? It is not a major flaw, but it does take away from the pen.

Len

The knot is almost imperceptible in hand - I didn't notice it before assembling, otherwise I would have filled it. There is also a flaw in the other barrel - I may disassemble the whole thing and fix both of them.

SteveJ

Very nice; I prefer "plain" wood as long as it has interesting grain.

I rather enjoy "plain" wood with great grain or some sort of exotic wood. I suppose I enjoy cheap wood even better - which is why I often segment. I also segment because it helps limit the number of pens I have in hand - it takes a whole lot longer to segment than it does to turn an unsegmented timber or acrylic. I give away most of my pens and I should probably forget segmenting since most people, when given the choice, seem to pick a well figured timber like this one.

DrD

Please don't mistake me, I am fascinated by segmented blanks. I couldn't make one if I tried, so I go to pretty woods with the occasional acrylic if it reminds me of the pens from the 30's and 40's.

SteveJ

The segments are the grain lines..... Very nice. Love the color. What is the wood?
Sorry, I'm not sure what the wood is. And the color on my screen is not a very good representation of what it looks like in hand.

I just took another picture with the white balance adjusted and this is closer to the actual color of the pen.

Burl color adjusted.JPG

At least the background color is correct.

And I learned something about taking better pictures (thanks Sylvanite).

SteveJ

Please don't mistake me, I am fascinated by segmented blanks. I couldn't make one if I tried, so I go to pretty woods with the occasional acrylic if it reminds me of the pens from the 30's and 40's.
I in no way took your comment as anything negative. I also really enjoy a pretty wood pen - I segment because it gives me something to do without amassing a barrel full of pretty wood pens.

jttheclockman

Hey I do the basic blanks also and in fact I am working on 2 wood and 2 acrylic right now. I too like to segment and also cast so to break things up. I would get bored out of my mind if all I did was plain wood or acrylic blanks. Probably would have given pen turning up years ago. If it were not for segmenting and casting it keeps my mind whatever I have left, working. That is a nice piece of timber and you did it proud.

Top Bottom