A pen for a close woodworking friend

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

My latest adventure is into making my own "plastic" blanks from casting epoxy. I wanted to make a gift for a good, endlessly generous friend who makes beautiful guitars. He has a level of skill that I envy! Although I have already made some colored blanks, I had not attempted one where the epoxy is clear. I came up with the attached for the gift. It is nothing spectacular, like so much that I have seen on IAP, but I know that he will appreciate the gesture. Please see the attached photos.

Attachments

• Guitar1.jpg
    Guitar1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Guitar2.jpg
    Guitar2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 117
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

Being completely new to this aspect of pen making you will have to excuse my ignorance. The blank was made by printing a waterproof Avery label using a laser printer, and then sticking it around the brass tube. Then it was cast into clear epoxy. Is that what you mean by "cast label"?
Yes

howsitwork

That's a fine " unique" pen . If it gives them pleasure to receive and you pleasure to create then sipurlsy that's what it's all about.

Friendship has no limits or costs

NGLJ

I can only agree with you regarding friendship. I have been fortunate to have a few very good friendships in my life, and the one mentioned here is one of the best. Like many things in life there was an element of serendipity in our meeting, but there was an instant connection. We have woodworking in common but it was much more than that, and still is. I gave him the pen today and his face lit up. Assuming Thirsk is in Yorkshire, I was born in Brayton outside Selby, and have been to Thirsk many times.

Top Bottom