A note from Jerry Beall

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I thought it might be appropriate to ask Jerry Beall what was going on with the 3-in-1 mandrel. Here is his reply:

Thanks for the heads-up. When we first put the Three-On mandrel on the market, we had two complaints of sticking in the head stock. We looked at the product and found that there was a potential problem caused by burrs on the threads. The shaft is not all-thread that has had the ends turned down, it is 3/4" shaft that has the threads applied on a CNC lathe. We then started having them de-burred and that fixed the problem.

There were however a number of units which were sold before we made the change. If anyone is having a problem, we will gladly send them a new mandrel. We are planning to change the way we make the mandrels so that there will be no threading on the tapered end but it
will be a couple of months before they are available. People who wish to improve the older mandrels may simply smooth them up with a file or emery cloth or have us replace them.

Good luck,
JR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Jerry, I appreciate your clarifying the issue. My report, as some have alleged, was not a personal attack on you. My report was just that, a report on what I observed. The unit I saw did give the appearance of a turned down all-thread. For whatever reason, my report generated me being called some very nasty things. You must be a very loved person. I will forward your offer to my fellow wood turning club member.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />Jerry, I appreciate your clarifying the issue. My report, as some have alleged, was not a personal attack on you. My report was just that, a report on what I observed. The unit I saw did give the appearance of a turned down all-thread. For whatever reason, my report generated me being called some very nasty things. You must be a very loved person. I will forward your offer to my fellow wood turning club member.

Frank;

With a post title that says "Beal quality- not!" It's hard to believe that it was not an attack. Perhaps you should go back and read your posts again and look at them from the other side of the fence.

TomServo

I think Frank was simply expressing his dissatisfaction and outrage, something I think any of us would feel after seeing a product that damaged his friend's equipment.

Jerry's offer to replace the tool is appropriate, but what about the damaged spindle or a recall notice of some sort? I'm sure there are other defective units floating around. And before anyone tells me "but I'm sure the spindle works fine", I'd like to point out that if a $50 chamois left scraches on your car, your paint might still "work fine" after using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom