A nicer cigar style pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan Masshardt

Dan Masshardt

I've made a fair amount of cigar pens and will have several available for my first craft show.

I tend to think of cigars as a low end pen, but I thought if change it up as put a nice burl on a good plating cigar kit to see if I could make something nicer.

This is a cherry burl from the Nittanylion.

Attachments

• image-4036586697.jpg
    image-4036586697.jpg
    726.1 KB · Views: 356
  • image-905894806.jpg
    image-905894806.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 230
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulD

Cigars always sold well for me. They were just the perfect hand fit for some people and virtually sold themselves. Nice job, decidedly not low end!

cwolfs69

probably the best seller i have had over my 2 years doing this. they are good looking, work well, the PSI click cigar is one of the best mechanisms out there. very smooth. and with 2 barrels and good size they can be decorated in almost any manner. in addition you can get them in pen, fountain, roller ball and 2 styles of pencil. "low end" i think not. great pen and one of the most durable as well. love them

Last edited:

Deadhead

Dan,

No offense, but do really think this is a low end pen?
Yours is very nice looking; I have made several cherry burls in cigar.
Ben

Attachments

• Black Matrix Tru-Stone BLGL Ti Cigar.jpg
    Black Matrix Tru-Stone BLGL Ti Cigar.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 167

cal91666

Very nice pen Dan. I wish the cigar kits came with better looking clips. I think this would make a huge difference.

Deadhead

I wish the cigar kits came with better looking clips. I think this would make a huge difference.

I would be inclined to agree on this. What I would like to see is the clip on the Ultra, be offer with the Ti nitrate kits, or just something a little more stylish.
Ben

cwolfs69

Very nice pen Dan. I wish the cigar kits came with better looking clips. I think this would make a huge difference.
there are several options for using other clips on the cigar pens. a euro clip will work, (you may have to adjust the upper diameter a tad). the threads are the same as cigar and there are a variety of clips for those. in addition, woodpenpro in Hawaii have some special clips specifically for cigars.

Dan Masshardt

Low end would be $30

I decided to sell most of my chrome cigars for $40. This one for $60.

I've sold cigars for less in the past.

To be clear, what I mean is comparing a cigar to a roller or fountain. Not slim.

When I see a beautiful blank my tendency is to think rollerball / fountain.

Not everybody wants one of those kind of pens though!

Last edited:

76winger

I've made a fair amount of cigar pens and will have several available for my first craft show.

I tend to think of cigars as a low end pen,
Hi Dan; I'm curious to know what's your definition of a low end pen in terms of $$'s.

I sell my Cigar pens in Ti platings for $55! Is that low end?:smile-big:

With half of the ones I sell being $150+ RBs and FPs, I'd call it a "High-End low-end pen". :biggrin:

It's all in your perspective.

Jgrden

99 percent of my inventory is cigar or big ben. I just, this last week, started back to the Slimline. My IAP friend, Frank, gave me an idea on how to make them took attractive.Pens - #284 11-15-13 Padauk So Africa Cross Style.jpg

Pens - #283 11-15-13 Padauk - So Africa.jpg

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A bic is a low-end pen.

Once we reach "hand-made", the average purchaser believes their purchase is NOT low-end.

Just a word of warning as you step into selling pens---they are ALL "one of a kind" writing instruments. You might call some "entry level", but I would be very careful NOT to say "low end".

FWIW,
Ed

Top Bottom