A new threading question...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rstought

Passed Away Nov 11, 2016
In Memoriam
Having recently purchased some of the new Heritance feed/holders and associated taps, and with a free weekend coming up (read: wife and daughter to be off - out of state - visiting relatives...), I was hoping to start experimenting.

Thinking about designs and the construction, I was wondering whether it would be advisable to:
1. tap the pen body itself for the holder (and turn a little front section that you then glue the holder into), or...

2. tap the front section for the holder and tap the body of the pen with another (larger) tap to mate up to threads you would cut on the front section.

To my way of thinking, while it involves more threading operations, option 2 offers a couple of advantages in that the larger diameter threads connecting the front section to the pen body would offer more strength, and the larger diameter hole you would need to drill would allow you to remove more material from the pen body, making it lighter overall (perhaps a plus when working with heavier materials like TrueStone?). Using this approach also suggests that the front section would have to have external threads cut to receive the cap.

I am open to any and all suggestions (except perhaps that I would be wasting such a golden opportunity by devoting the weekend to nothing more than making pens...) and expert advice from those who are in the know.

Thanks in advance for your input...

PTJeff

rstought,

let me clarify terms before i give you my .02

section: is part of pen that holds housing (pic 1 w/ converter attached)

housing/holder: is part of section that holds feed and nib (pic 2)

option 1:
doesn't make sense to tap pen body for housing/holder, or glue holder. the tap you bought is to, eliminate the glue, and to screw holder into custom made section.

you tap the section. unless your section is an intregal part of the pen. if it is, then refilling is a mess due to the handling of the feed/nib directly.

option 2:
most logical and typical way it is done.

Lastly, the body is what usually has the threads for the cap, so you don't unscrew section when unscrewing the cap.

Now this is how i envision my process. There are an infinite # of variations, each with their pro's and con's.

Attachments

• blank with section 2.jpg
    blank with section 2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Small Lou's small nib holder.jpg
    Small Lou's small nib holder.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 191
Top Bottom