A new medium for me

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alan Morrison

Alan Morrison

I was sent a couple of samples of lab opal and have been seeing how to incorporate it into a pen. Here's a couple of tries. One of the samples was only 1mm thick which can be spotted sandwiched between some ebony. IMG_2226.jpgIMG_2225.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JGordon

So you bought the block and crushed it yourself, or did you buy it pre-crushed? How expensive did it become once you factored in exchange and shipping?

The pens look fantastic!

Alan Morrison

So you bought the block and crushed it yourself, or did you buy it pre-crushed? How expensive did it become once you factored in exchange and shipping?

The pens look fantastic!
John, I cut a couple of slices off the block and laminated them into a slice of timber to make a blank, glued them, squared the blank and turned as normal. No crushing required.
The material I used were samples so no cost to me, however if you check their website you will find that it's not cheap.
I believe that the vendor also sells on Etsy under 'Aurora Opals'.
Alan

Alan Morrison

Sparkly! I like it!

For those asking, EB has sold this for a while now. Turner's Warehouse has it, too. It's not cheap no matter where you get it, though. I've been wanting to do some inlay, but have so many other projects and ideas that I can't justify making the investment until I clear some stuff out. Now if the supplier wants to give me some samples...
I am only aware of EB or TW selling crushed opal, not in block form. I have seen entire pens made from the block.

Top Bottom