A mystery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

artme

Good morrow good people! I have not been here for ages but now I am back! Lucky people!

A few years back I needed a brain operation and had a VP shunt placed to drain excess fluid away from the brain.Since that time I have recovered well enough except for some meory lapses.

Before this happened my wife and I did a trip to Canada and the US so I took the opportunity to buy some kits at PSI. While there I picked up - at least I think I did - a couple of 5 inch long
circuit board blanks( 127/128mm in our terms) with a 9mm inside diameter tube BUT, I have no kits to go with them.

I am wondering what I might use as a kit to fit these blanks? I have some longwood bullet kits but they hardly seem appropriate.

I looked at a good tutorial by Les Elm on turning a cigar kit into a longwood cigar. Great idea but that would mean very accurate drilling of one end to accept the top tbe of the cigar kit. Do not think i am going to risk this.

Another suggestion is to cut the blanks into Sierra barrel lengths and make Sierras. That would give me 4 sierras but again there is a risk of tube destruction.

So I ask for any suggestions that will help me make best use of these long blanks.

many thanks in advance, artme.:):)

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skeleton2014

I've made many PSI circuit board pens and have used my band saw to slowly and carefully cut down their 5" blanks. I cut slightly long and use my 10" disc sander to square up and fine tune the length. Haven't had any problems cutting them. Their circuit board blanks come pre-tubed in 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, and 3/8". 9mm seems kind of an unusual size. Was it labeled that way? I've been turning about 5 years and have only seen PSI circuit board blanks in the sizes I mentioned. Did they make a 9mm at one time?
Jeff

Skeleton2014

I just looked on the IAP Bushing and Tube app for the Sierra and found bushing measurement "E", the part that fits inside the tube is 0.381 inches... I wasn't sure how this would fit in the 9mm tube (9mm = 0.354 inches)? If this bushing does fit, then there may be many more kits that would work. In the IAP app, put "0.381" in the search bar to see list of kits that have this "E" measurement.
Jeff

MTViper

The blank should fit any kit that uses a 3/8" bit. I have used them on Steampunk bolt action pens as well as the other bolt action pens.

magpens

Art, you say the inside diameter of the tube embedded in the blank is 9mm ?

That blank might be meant for a Cigar pen. I know that PSI sells such a circuit board blank.

Why don't you get yourself a Cigar kit and measure the components so see if they would fit ?

Well .... you don't have to .... I just consulted the bushing and tube tables here on IAP.
The bushings for a Cigar are meant to fit tubes with inside diameter of 9.07mm !!!!!

So there you have it .... mystery solved.

Cigar is your answer.

Here is a link to the tables:

http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/psi_bush_tube.pdf

You will see that a Cigar kit uses tubes with an inside diameter of 0.357" = 9.07mm

Last edited:

artme

Ok thanks fellas!:)

I measured the bushings I had that do fit snugly in the tube and it came out at 9mm. However given my imperfect eyesight this may be wrong by a small fraction. I think the bushes were sierras. Another job - sort and label all bushes.)

As i said in my initial post the cigar would work except I am not game enough to try the drilling out of one end to 27/64 and risk ruining the blank.

thanks for the advice on using the bandsaw skeleton. I think I might give that a try.

Once again - thanks all.:)

magpens

Art,

I really don't understand why you think you have to drill out to Sierra size (27/64).

I am 99.9% sure that the blank you have was intended to fit a Cigar kit.

You should not have to do any drilling at all if you use a Cigar kit.

Ok thanks fellas!:)

As i said in my initial post the cigar would work except I am not game enough to try the drilling out of one end to 27/64 and risk ruining the blank.

Once again - thanks all.:)

Last edited:

gtriever

Am I missing something? I thought all circuit board blanks were pre-tubed, and you bought the size you needed for a particular kit.

artme

The tube in the blank is 9mm internal diameter. I have found that an Executive
clicker or a Dayacom longwood kit will suit the blank.

Thank you all for your help.

The cigar tubes are ever so slightly larger in diameter than the tube in the blank The bushes I have that fit snugly into the tube in the blank are a fairly sloppy fit in the cigar tubes and so the cigar kit parts will not fit the blank.

Thank you all for your help>

Top Bottom