A Mother's Day Present for my Wife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I finished this little pen cup for my wife this weekend. It's from a big log that fell down off her favorite pecan tree about 3 years ago. This tree was also her mother's favorite tree and it brings back fond memories for her every year when it's pecan harvest time, so I've been wanting to make her something from that log. It's about 3" tall and a little under 3" in diameter.

That llog lay on the ground for about a year before I started cutting it up & it was already starting to spalt nicely. I wrapped several chunks in plastic and set them aside under my tractor shed to see what they would do. I unwrapped this small chunk a few weeks ago and liked what I saw, so I went to work on it.

It was pretty wet from being wrapped in plastic, so I first turned it round between centers and put a tenon on one end. Then I packed the blank in shavings for a few weeks to let it dry a little. I took it out and turned the inside and applied finish last weekend. This weekend I reversed the bowl and finished off the bottom.

Now I need to tackle a few bigger bowls from that log.

Attachments

• PenCup5.jpg
    PenCup5.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 177
  • PenCup6.jpg
    PenCup6.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 144
  • PenCup7.jpg
    PenCup7.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 175
  • PenCup8.jpg
    PenCup8.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 176
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Than is a beautiful piece of wood! I am sure she will love it since the tree had so much meaning.....and that you made it for her!

Well done!

Krash

That is a stunning piece of wood Edgar!

I just this weekend got back on my lathe to try to turn a bowl. Once I'm good enough, I'll give that piece of camphor you sent.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
That is a stunning piece of wood Edgar!

I just this weekend got back on my lathe to try to turn a bowl. Once I'm good enough, I'll give that piece of camphor you sent.

Thanks, Kelly.

Glad to hear you are able to get back to turning. Don't worry about ruining that piece of camphor-just let me know if you need another. I still have a big stack of camphor logs in my tractor shed.

Top Bottom