A mosaic of vintage Brooks803 resin, my first capped pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

400414_411077378952333_810553579_n.jpg

574619_411077438952327_1229550615_n.jpg

320207_411077468952324_936814307_n.jpg

So, I had the remnants of one of my favorite old blanks, it's some OLD Brooks803 resin. I committed a sin and shattered it and re-cast it in clear resin. Figured I'd try it out, and ruined the cap portion on the drill press, then had to re-do the bottom barrel after misassembling the barrel and it got wrecked trying to take it apart. The reverse paint is still giving me a nightmare of a time, and there were a couple of solid bubbles caught in the resin. So, I could be happier with it. I will say I liked making this one. I hope to make some more in the future, with less issues.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

I think I'll try reverse painting with white next time I monkey with one of these. Looking at it again now that I'm not scared I'm gonna die from the need for sleep, a lot of the shattered resin in there is being hidden by the black.

SDB777

Silver reverse is always your best friend(from my limited experiments).

Not seeing the bubbles your talking about, but they do become more visible when your holding the pen in your hand. BTW, congrats on the "Capped Pen"....sure it won't be the last!

Scott (white paint gives milky results for me) B

Drstrangefart

Silver reverse is always your best friend(from my limited experiments).

Not seeing the bubbles your talking about, but they do become more visible when your holding the pen in your hand. BTW, congrats on the "Capped Pen"....sure it won't be the last!

Scott (white paint gives milky results for me) B

The bubbles are on the surface, one's under the clip, the other is smack,in the middle of the bottom barrel. It took a lot of coats of CA to get it in the vicinity of cleaned up, but it still stares at me disapprovingly. It's just not really showing up in the picture.

Drstrangefart

Thanks! I've carried this one around with me for a day or so and so far the Apprentice Jr Gent II makes for a pretty good carry pen. And a great toy to fidget with when you have to sit still for a while.

Top Bottom