See more from PatrickR

PatrickR

7e11b8cc2eb70db6a8debef54f1696bc.jpg
f8bb2513d5e639780940ba8f85444d06.jpg

My first Slimline, Old Growth Sycamore.

f0b590e0799295dd50e53c86be273584.jpg
0c93f87e8cb70ae1632e516440d747e0.jpg

Platinum Cigar, Katalox Sapwood.

Both of these were finished with a moisture cure urethane, KBS Diamond Finish. The Sycamore from a rattle can. The Katalox was dipped. Both over CA. Super happy with the dip. One dip and nothing after, only one little dust nib. I'm going to continue playing with this finish and if there's interest in it I'll start a thread in finishing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Patrick, those look great. Excellent fit and finish.
Does the slimline twist at the nib end?
That finish looks interesting. I can get it where I work for $30 a quart and was thinking of doing so. I'm also wondering if a slow turn setup while it is drying would be a good way to go. Seems it would almost be as good as a resin coating but without the mess and smell.
BTW, does that finish have much of an odor?

magpens

Nice job on the single tube slimline. . If you are interested in doing a single tube Cigar there is a tutuorial on that in the IAP library. . I have really enjoyed making a dozen or so of them but I modified the technique

PatrickR

Patrick, those look great. Excellent fit and finish.
Does the slimline twist at the nib end?
That finish looks interesting. I can get it where I work for $30 a quart and was thinking of doing so. I'm also wondering if a slow turn setup while it is drying would be a good way to go. Seems it would almost be as good as a resin coating but without the mess and smell.
BTW, does that finish have much of an odor?

Thanks Dale. Yes, the slimline twist at the nib. The library section here has the info on how to do it.
The Diamond coat is great. I dip, put it on a rotisserie with a fan on it. It flows out well, is water clear and has a high build (so far I'm finding about .003 per dip), sands and buffs well. I would describe it as more glass like in look and feel than CA, which is more plastic to me.
Yes, it does have a strong solvent smell.

PatrickR

Nice job on the single tube slimline. . If you are interested in doing a single tube Cigar there is a tutuorial on that in the IAP library. . I have really enjoyed making a dozen or so of them but I modified the technique

Thanks magpens, Ive seen several of yours and really liked them.
Did you add the 8mm tube? The nib is a little hard to turn now, not sure if that will loosen up with use.
I'm finding the cigar to be a little bigger than I care for so not sure how many more I will make.

OZturner

An Excellent Pair of Pens Patrick,
Beautiful Blanks, Superbly Turned, Fitted and Finished.
Excellent Modification of the Slimline.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom