A little security

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

A few years ago we installed a ring doorbell, the battery version. It's performance, very lackluster, to say the least. Someone could be at your door and gone before you get it to connect. Well I just took it off and installed a Eufy ac powered camera system. It connects instantly and the quality is leaps and bounds better than the ring. Actually put in two, one on the front porch and one over the garage. Here's an image from the front of my garage taken a few minutes ago. I would definitely recommend the Eufy brand. Easy to install too.
0641DBC7-93D2-4285-9F49-927856D0FCF8.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I appreciate seeing this Ken. Our circumstances would welcome this type of system. Thank You!
Even though we don't live in a high crime area, we are aware crime happens everywhere and it's good to be aware of your surroundings. What actually precipitated us getting a better system was a few weeks ago we come home from work to find 4 or 5 bags of dog treats on our porch with nothing to show who they were from. The ring recorded nothing. We threw the treats away, not knowing if they were good or even possibly poisoned. Another feature of the Eufy cameras I forgot to mention is no monthly fees.

magpens

A few years ago we installed a ring doorbell, the battery version. It's performance, very lackluster, to say the least. Someone could be at your door and gone before you get it to connect.

Don't get it ..... Do you mean the button you push that goes "Ding-dong" and you rush to the door to open it and see who is there ?

I think you must mean something more sophisticated than the simple "Ding-dong".

Maybe you mean something that connects to your cell phone . . . . pardon my ignorance.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
No offense intended; but does everyone know where the Chief of Police lives? Is the Chief of Police always at home?
I believe the thought was that they live 'close' to where the Chief of Police live; and nefarious folks may be more careful in this area... the C.O.P. does not to be home for the caution to be in effect. It is that way in my town.

KenB259

Don't get it ..... Do you mean the button you push that goes "Ding-dong" and you rush to the door to open it and see who is there ?

Maybe you mean something that connects to your cell phone . . . . pardon my ignorance.
It's a doorbell that has a camera coonected to your phone. You can see and talk to the person without opening your door and even if you are not at home. Ours was too slow in connecting and most of the time didn't even record the event. Maybe the non battery versions are better.

duncsuss

Maybe you mean something that connects to your cell phone

Penchant 4

I believe the thought was that they live 'close' to where the Chief of Police live; and nefarious folks may be more careful in this area... the C.O.P. does not to be home for the caution to be in effect. It is that way in my town.
The thought was understood. The point I was attempting to make was that for proximity to the Chief of Police's home to have any deterrent effect, the miscreant would need to know where the Chief of Police lives. If the Chief of Police had personal use of a marked department vehicle, then when the Chief is home; the presence of that vehicle might serve the purpose. Obviously, it was a clumsy attempt.

Pen_man_ship

No offense intended; but does everyone know where the Chief of Police lives? Is the Chief of Police always at home?
A little clarification, the total population of Boothbay and Boothbay Harbor is a little over 5,000. Last week, according to the local paper there were three arrests...and they were alcohol related. When we were new to the area people asked us where we lived, we used the Chief as a land mark. They knew.
On that note; a funny story. We live on the second to the last house on a dead end road, the Chief is last. Not much traffic past our house. One day while sitting on our front deck a pickup goes by...that's odd. The Chief is right behind him. The truck stops, no where to go. We can hear the truck driver get out and say to the Chief..."Ok, what did I do?" The Chief said, Nothing, I live here."
It took me a second to figure out what happened. The driver of the pickup was looking at out new country club when he saw the Chief's cruiser in his rearview mirror, what do you do? Take your first right, the Chief is still there, take the next right, Chief is still there, take one more right....damn, dead end, no where to go.

monophoto

Ken

Thanks for the recommendation.

Our driveway is a 'blind spot' - there's no way to see anyone parked on the driveway from inside the house. So I undertook a project to install a security camera on the garage to monitor the driveway. Received the camera this past weekend, but when I installed it on Monday, it was completely dead. The replacement is scheduled to arrive today, so we will see what happens when I try that one. I chose the Geeni outdoor weatherproof camera - if I can't get the replacement to work, I may move to Eufy.

By the way, Geeni customer support is not especially helpful - they really couldn't suggest any diagnostics to figure out why the camera wouldn't work, and when we got to the point of discussing replacements, they said that their process takes 7-10 business days. So I called Amazon who promised that they would get me the replacement the next day. What a difference!

She's no longer with us after a bout with cancer, but when Maggie was around, she was such a lover she likely would have helped a bugler carry out the whole house, maybe getting in the way as she tried to make sure she got her loving.

We live out in the country and the sheriff is in another town... an alarm wouldn't provide much security for us.

Arnold

No where to hide KEN!!!
Correct, when seconds count police are minutes away...I have always said dialing 911 is dial a prayer...Police will always do what they can, but you must take personal responsibility for your own safety and that of your family....

PatrickR

I have some Ring products and am happy with them. Two flood light cams and another camera for a back porch that has separate motion lighting. My main objective is to make sure a potential intruder knows that they are known about and that I have video if needed. If they ignore that, entry has been made as difficult as possible (entry will not be quiet. Some dogs that will then make their own noise. Then its up to me! Anywhere that I am in the house there is a weapon within a few seconds of being in my hand. I live in the country so any 911 call would serve more as damage control than protection.

monophoto

Update - got the replacement Geeni camera yesterday - so far, its working fine. Here are a couple of images - one daytime and one after dark to show how it works in IR mode.

IMG_0566.JPG
IMG_0568.JPG

General impression so far is that it does what I need it to do - motion detection and image capture. Some of the other features are not impressive - the intercom is pathetic, and while the phone app is fine, the PC app is a joke.

My neighbor on the other side of the woods has a camera pointing toward our house, and it gets frequent motion indications from people walking on the path that can be seen through the woods. The camera offers three levels of motion sensitivity, and I expect that I will need to experiment to fine tune it to avoid unnecessary alarms.

henry1164

Several years ago I was a rep for an alarm manufacturer who had displays of DIY alarm systems in home improvement box stores. One of the least expensive items in the display was the yard sign indicating that an alarm system was installed in this house. I would always advise customers that if they didn't want the alarm system to at least buy a yard sign or two. Logic: If a potential bad guy saw the sign in your yard and elected to rob the house next door vs. yours......that would be cost effective security.

KenB259

Update - got the replacement Geeni camera yesterday - so far, its working fine. Here are a couple of images - one daytime and one after dark to show how it works in IR mode.

View attachment 317918View attachment 317919
General impression so far is that it does what I need it to do - motion detection and image capture. Some of the other features are not impressive - the intercom is pathetic, and while the phone app is fine, the PC app is a joke.

My neighbor on the other side of the woods has a camera pointing toward our house, and it gets frequent motion indications from people walking on the path that can be seen through the woods. The camera offers three levels of motion sensitivity, and I expect that I will need to experiment to fine tune it to avoid unnecessary alarms.
Looks good.

PatrickR

Several years ago I was a rep for an alarm manufacturer who had displays of DIY alarm systems in home improvement box stores. One of the least expensive items in the display was the yard sign indicating that an alarm system was installed in this house. I would always advise customers that if they didn't want the alarm system to at least buy a yard sign or two. Logic: If a potential bad guy saw the sign in your yard and elected to rob the house next door vs. yours......that would be cost effective security.
Next on my list

TonyL

Nice job. Enjoy the peace of mind.

In addition to a wired alarm system, I have been very please with the Arlo line of cameras.

2 dogs and some 2nd Amendment goodies also help.

WriteON

Nice job. Enjoy the peace of mind.

In addition to a wired alarm system, I have been very please with the Arlo line of cameras.

2 dogs and some 2nd Amendment goodies also help.
I have a picture of my X wife on the front door.

Arnold

My security is many years of competition shooting and two Doberman Pinscher's...I don't think a perp would make it past the Dobes

MRDucks2

I have always been tickled when the news reports that someone had "hundreds of rounds of ammunition" at their home. Long ago I decided to keep a minimum of 1000 rounds of each caliber I own on hand. A friend from Australia once asked if I was prepared to start a war. I told him absolutely not, but I would certainly do my best to win one.

Top Bottom