A little nervous about this purchase, but plowing ahead with business.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darrin

I'm leaning towards adding this to my shop.
Anyone have experience with this machine?
Its a Weiss 10x30. I'm a machinist by trade and a pen maker second so I think it'll be a good fit for what I do.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 63405D9D-D190-4199-B93F-16C2B99E46F0.jpeg
    63405D9D-D190-4199-B93F-16C2B99E46F0.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 318
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jalbert

Well... it definitely won't be underpowered for any pen related endeavors. Pull the trigger and don't overthink. You will find plenty of use for it.

gimpy

I heard nothing but good about them !!

I too was and is a machinist by trade
and have a grizzly metal large

PatrickR

Since there are two machinists to get an opinion here. I have a Seig style lathe that I would like to upgrade. Is a Weiss a lot better? From what I've read all the Chinese lathes are very similar. I wouldn't call mine a fine tuned machine, just adequate. Are there any options not made in China? For hobby use pens mostly but I do some other small items. I'm currently looking at Proxxon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mortalis

Semi retired Machinist/Manufacturing Engineer and while non CnC metal working lathes are really good for cutting metal straight, square and angled I cant reason that they would be as good at shaping wood. Oh, they may be able to cut wood but many times when cutting wood the profiles are not always straight and square.
To me, a spindle/bowl lathe has its place in the hobby and the metal working lathe has another. Just my opinion as I have never thought to use a metal lathe as a primary means to turn wood.

bmachin

That basic machine is sold under various names by various vendors: Precision Matthews and DRO Pros for sure and probably Grizzly and others. That doesn't mean that they are identical. Take a look here:
This video has received favorable reviews around here.

PatrickR

Semi retired Machinist/Manufacturing Engineer and while non CnC metal working lathes are really good for cutting metal straight, square and angled I cant reason that they would be as good at shaping wood. Oh, they may be able to cut wood but many times when cutting wood the profiles are not always straight and square.
To me, a spindle/bowl lathe has its place in the hobby and the metal working lathe has another. Just my opinion as I have never thought to use a metal lathe as a primary means to turn wood.

I have a good wood lathe. I will turn anything that fits between centers on the little metal lathe. I like the precision.

PatrickR

That basic machine is sold under various names by various vendors: Precision Matthews and DRO Pros for sure and probably Grizzly and others. That doesn't mean that they are identical. Take a look here:
This video has received favorable reviews around here.

I have watched that video before. She talked about the base parts all being made in the same factories and that increased price buys more fetuses. I don't recall her talking about the quality differences that may or may not come with those higher prices. Having extra features is nice but if the overall quality isn't improved you still have a so so lathe. (Which I already have)

Darrin

The metal lathe will be for turning resin and making my own tbc bushings and small metal work. The wood lathe I have will be for final shaping and finish work.
That's the plan anyhow 😀

moke

I have a 10x22 Grizzly and it looks very similar to mine. As Bmachin said I am sure it is made in China/Korea and marketed under various names.
That tail stock and carriage is identical to mine as is the gear exchange. I have had some issues with the tail stock....when I thread with dies on metal it puts pressure on it and sort of locks it up and needs to be disassembled and reassembled as it id "jammed" unless you lock it down with the set screw and lock down. With pen stuff it has performed flawlessly. It really looks like mine, some of the controls are rearranged a little, but even the font is the same.

Mine has a DRO which is basically worthless as it is not accurate (even considering backlash) but I would do it again for sure.

With you being a Machinist maybe you can make suggestions on the tail stock problem.

Oh, I just thought of one complaint, the Tailstock travel is only 2.5". I have a Laguana 18/36 which is 4", but drilling blanks on a metal lathe is far more accurate. Are you going to get the stand? That looks like a nice set up! Keep us informed!!

PatrickR

^ I would be really surprised if they were made in Korea. Cant remember the last thing I saw marked as such.

PatrickR

A little research shows no to Korea. It appears that all of the common brands source from China and Taiwan. With the Taiwan models being at the VERY top of the price range. I used to think of Taiwan as a quality exporter but recently I purchased some bumpers for a truck and thought I was going to get at least decent quality being made there. I was wrong, they are junk.

Aurelius

I'm following this thread closely because, while I don't have nearly your background, this is one of the models I am consideringso am anxious to hear everyone's thoughts.

Darrin

Just as an update I called them tonight.
They have nothing in stock and have no idea when they will.
Sorry to break the news to anyone wanting to purchase from DRO Pros on equipment.
I guess the stimulus is working out well.

PatrickR

Since this thread started I've been researching. Take a look at the line of Jet lathes. Available and well supported.

Top Bottom