A little musical break from the trials of ...... ( whatever )

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Occasionally I like a little bit of light music.

Does anybody like a little of Merle Haggard ? . I think he has an amazing voice.

BTW ..... does anyone know the name of the standing guitar accompanist ? .... the guy behind Merle with the curly grey hair and open-necked shirt.
Not the seated bass guitarist, and not the seated guy on the steel guitar.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
MERLE'S the best!!!!! Way under appreciated in my thinking. I had a chance to meet him some years back and blew off the opportunity. Big mistake. He's a legend for sure and has a very prominent place in my shop.

magpens

Standing guitarist: Freddy Powers.

Thanks for that name, Jay. . I like to learn a little bit about the "background" support for various artists and musicians.
I know that he played quite a big role in Merle's career, and I see that he had an independent career in addition to that.
Here are a few links to him if anyone else is interested :

penicillin

Backup musicians are way underappreciated.

You can admire the American Idol show or not. Forget about the contestants. In my opinion, all the awards should go to the backup band and singers. They are very talented and have a tough job. They play anything in any style you ask, all with an exceptional level of professionalism.

magpens

@penicillin

You are so right !!
I was on a Merle kick today. . Just listened to him (and others) doing "Working Man Blues" - Youtube black and white video ( 4:16 minutes )
There are phenomenal solo sections in that recording.
I would love to know who was the pianist whose solo starts at about the half-way point. . Oh, that piano ... nothing like it !!
Also the violinist who comes after the piano. . After that comes Merle again, solo guitar now ... WOW ! . Finishes with voice again.

Who is the big-faced other violinist standing right behind Merle at 1:10 minute or so ? . Would love to know ... quite a big man.
Have seen him before but can't think of his name ... if I ever knew it. . You can see his profile in the pic below.

Here is the link :-

Last edited:

Jay

Violinist: Gordon Terry.

I last saw The Strangers perform live in July 2018. The were backing Kris Kristofferson at our local fair playing on the free stage. Admission free for two shows.

Jay

Magpen, If you like knowing the band members listen to this:

Should bring a smile.

After thinking about that last post and "free stage", it dawned on me that the first time I saw The Strangers perform was with Merle at the Oakland Coliseum and I had scored free tickets from a local San Fran. FM station. Nose bleed seats, but going to college and just married so we didn't care. Great show.

Jay

KMCloonan

I really like, at the end of the song, the host gives him a huge compliment, and he looks embarrassed, like he didn't deserve it or something. Pretty modest.

Kevin

KMCloonan

No. According to YouTube, the last song he recorded was the Kern River Blues. Almost the same title. Kern River was recorded in 1984. Kern River Blues was recorded in 2016, I believe.

PatrickR

I think he was pigeonholed for a long time by "okie from Muskogie". Actually one of the next songs he recorded was about an interracial love affair that was ended because of un-acceptance.
a few favorites of mine are -
Shopping for dresses
Silver wings
Mama Tried

Top Bottom