A little Forum Etiquette

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

We have alot of new members joining every day and this is just a word of courtesy. Those that have been here for some time pretty much adhere to this but maybe we slip now and then and I am sure I probably do too but I do try to make a conscious effort to thank the members that take the time to answer questions or supply links or whatever. If you are going to make a post and ask a question, two things please do. Get back to the post and acknowledge you read the replys and or tried them or will try them at a future date. Nothing pees me off more than to answer a question with some thought and probably a little research and never see the poster say anything again in the thread and just moves on. Also a thank you some place along the line is not asking too much. I know that this world has become a fast pace society and today cell phone usage is all the rage and those things happen on the phone but this is a forum where people try to be helpful in the best possible way and that is what made this site as great as it is. The hard work to get this forum in the shape it is today comes on the backs of many with our leader Jeff paving the way. But he could not do it alone and that is where we as members come in. Respect the work that others do to help you in your quest to be a great pen turner. That is what we do here.

So thank you for reading:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Great minds think alike.........or fools never differ...:biggrin:

Please and Thank You

But yes JT, I agree with you, unfortunately we sometimes need a quick reminder:wink:

Wow Skip that was 6 years ago and back then you got 100 likes on your well thought out post. I do not think I ever seen a 100 like post before or I can not remember one anyway.

Maybe we just need a reminder now and then. Also with the many new members joining it may need to be said to remind them what is protocol here. You said something that is very true too in that if the people who take the time to answer get disrespected then they will stop answering and you get less people doing the same. There are some people here that answer many questions with alot of thought and take much time in doing so and I will not name names because I will forget people but you know who you are. Their responses may read as a novel but within them there is so much more info than what the OP asked and that is what sharing is all about. Many questions are asked 1000 times in many different ways and the same answers are repeated but they do get answered.

Even a push of the like button shows you read the post and and maybe agree with some or all of what was said. That at least counts too. Have a great Day One and All. Now for some shop time.:)

Wagner11

I'm sorry to admit I have been guilty of this on more than one occasion. My sincere apologies to anyone I've done this to. I often get excited or distracted with a problem and forget to follow up with those that helped me.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

TonyL

I think a bigger issue is: Why would I get irritated/po'd if someone didn't thank me for something I voluntarily decided to do (asked rhetorically)? In order to avoid feeling irritated, I would have to ask if the receiving party planned on thanking me. Maybe , the receiving party should ask if I plan on saying ,"You are welcome." Wouldn't I be the one with the "problem"?

I am flawed beyond explanation - Wagner11, you can ask me anything you want - I won't get upset if you don't thank me.

I don't think these notes change behavior any more that warnings on cigarette labels discourage another generation from smoking and published calorie counts stop someone from ordering a Big Mac, etc.

I wish folks were all nice to each other and respected one another, but I have zero control over someone else's behavior. I do have control over what I expect of others and what I need in order to maintain my serenity, and I will not put that in the hands of someone else. Excellent topic.

Ed McDonnell

Hi Tony - From my perspective:

I hate wasting my time. If I take the time to answer a question I would like to think I didn't waste my time. I'm not looking for thank you , but some form of acknowledgement so that I can feel I didn't completely waste my time typing out something greatly increases the odds of me spending the time to answer future questions.

Ed

MRDucks2

I understand the goal of the post, but encourage others who read a thread to express their appreciation even if the OP doesn't.

Even an ungracious OP can ask a question (sometimes again) that helps the rest of us so a thanks from others could help keep the answers coming in.

I know, for instance, John T and I don't always agree, mostly on the approach to a question or answer. I have decided it not worth our expressing our differences in a thread, if possible, for a couple of reasons: one, it isn't worth derailing the thread; two, John T has tons of great info and experience. If I have concerns in the future, I will PM him.

BUT, I always try to express thanks in other threads when John shares something that helped me in particular. Two people can sometimes disagree, but it doesn't necessarily make either of them wrong. Give thanks at all levels when you can.

There should, hopefully, be enough of us who do appreciate the answers to make up for those who don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Woodchipper

If I ask a question, I appreciate a response and do acknowledge the answer, tip, suggestion. If I offer the same, I don't require a Thank You from the forum member or guest. I do thank John T. for the thread- great reminder. I frequent a forum where the people have gotten downright nasty over a trivial thing.

jttheclockman

Just to touch on Mr Duckman's point and Tony' point I get that it does not bother you if you get thanked or not and sometime others get info out of the OP question and either state or do not is not the point. Sometimes a thread goes off on another tangent and more info comes out that others did not even think to ask and this is all great. I have seen Mal do it and Hank do it where they actually take a subject and drill down on it and throw out so much knowledge it makes you stop and really think about what they said. This is somewhat different than a simple yes or no or a couple word answer. But what it shows is their passion to help others. To me it makes you feel good if the original poster at least acknowledges the answers and if it helped or not maybe more questions come from it. Heck a simple like button click would do. I know we all are not going to thank everyone who hit the like button to one of your posts.

But come on is it really too much to ask. :)

MRDucks2

No, not too much to ask at all.

Even if someone get excited about a new revelation and runs out to try it or asks follow-on questions to get a better understanding, we are learning from those who have learned before us and are willing to share that knowledge either to spare us or prepare us.

Thanks and acknowledgement are due.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

TonyL

The Penturners UK Forum has a "Thank for this post" button. I thought it was a good ideas

And, a "Thank you" it is not too much to ask and free! It can also serve to motivate others or the same person to continue to help. To many, it is important.

I am sure many of us have sent someone a pen as a gift and the only way one finds out if it was received is to write and ask if they received it. Like all here, we are appreciative for having the skill and putting a smile on someone's face (at least I imagine they are smiling when they get it).

We all have many of the following stories: I referred a new friend of mine, Neal, to someone who hired him (he we was unemployed and needed a job, and was quite skilled at selling). My close friend, Ted, thanked me and hired him AND gave him a 25k signing bonus. I only learned about my new friend's job on LinkedIn and the signing bonus from my good friend, Ted who hired him. But no thank you from Neal or even mentioned to me that he was hired. I also drove this guy back and forth to several chemo treatments - that he thanked me for. So, people will be people and the plank in my eye is larger than the straw in most. And life goes on. I do think it is a good topic though. As we all do here, we will alway keep helping regardless. That, in my opinion, is what makes what Jeff hatched 15 years ago, a great place.

This is an interesting thread in that I don't think I've seen a bad assumption in any of the replies at all. I think it all boils down to the fact, that if someone asks for something, all that people are asking for is an acknowledgement in the fact that they cared and did their best to answer the question. I certainly don't think that's too much to ask for. I don't know any of them that actually expect it, but no one can deny that it's nice to receive that acknowledgement that they understood what they are giving and it may help you out. I think that goes a long way for both parties.

Top Bottom