A Little Different Slipjoint Knife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from paps

paps

I recently acquired a milling machine and have been having lots of fun playing with it. Decided to try my hand at making a slipjoint knife with integral bolsters. The left and right halfs were milled out of 2 pieces of 416 stainless steel to make the frame. The blade and backspring are made of D2 tool steel. Handles are desert ironwood burl. This worked out pretty good and makes a very slim knife. Thanks for taking a look. -Phil Tham

Attachments

• 333K0212.jpg
    333K0212.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 515
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

paps

Thanks to all for the nice comments!

Ghostrider, the blade and backspring both have to be heat treated...a two step process where the steel is first hardened and then tempered. The spring has to be tempered at a higher temperature than the blade. I have a programmable kiln to do this.

jd99

Ghostrider, the blade and backspring both have to be heat treated...a two step process where the steel is first hardened and then tempered. The spring has to be tempered at a higher temperature than the blade. I have a programmable kiln to do this.
Are you wrapping the D2 in the Stainless heat treat wrap or can you heat treat in a vacuum?

ghostrider

That's cool.

paps

jd99 -Yes, I use the stainless foil wrap for heat treating.

socdad - That could be arranged ;-)

I'm really enjoying that mill. Have some more ideas I'm itchin' to try. Thanks again for the support!!!

reiddog1

Wow, that is very good. Very streamline and tight looking. I've been interested in making knives, but can't find a lot of info for it. Great job on yours, looks outstanding.

toyotaman

Great looking knifves. I would love to learn the process. I love to collect knifves and this would be great to be able to actually make your own from scratch.

Top Bottom