A Little Bit of Color

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cdwrrtx

cdwrrtx

Here are some that I used food coloring for dye. Concerned that even with the CA finish, there will be some fading over time. What are some other alternatives to food coloring that aren't too expensive?

The modified Slimline is curly maple and the Executives are birdseye maple.

Attachments

• IMG_1164-s.JPG
    IMG_1164-s.JPG
    337.3 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_1165-s.JPG
    IMG_1165-s.JPG
    331.8 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_1166-s.JPG
    IMG_1166-s.JPG
    376.3 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_1167-s.JPG
    IMG_1167-s.JPG
    315 KB · Views: 17,542
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

Here are some that I used food coloring for dye. Concerned that even with the CA finish, there will be some fading over time. What are some other alternatives to food coloring that aren't too expensive?

The modified Slimline is curly maple and the Executives are birdseye maple.

Do you still have either of these pens? Have you seen any fading, now that they are close to a year old? I did a food dye experiment last night, and was about to try it on a blank.

KenB259

You can buy cheap oil based paint in the artist area of any craft store, many colors to choose from. Just dilute it with a little dna and it works perfectly. Have done it many times apply a CA finish over it after it dries and I've never seen it fade. Looks great on something like curly maple. Of course, you have to turn to size before staining.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

mick

I've made quite a few using food coloring and still have a couple around here somewhere. I've never noticed any fading.
BTW those are gorgeous!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom