A kit for a Sharpie?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Not aware of any kits. However, Sharpie does offer refills that you can sometimes find in big-box stationery stores, and several years ago there were a number of threads here on making a body to house a refill. A search of the archive might find those threads.

Note that Sharpie offers two different refills. It is possible to make a body to house the 1751000 refill although you would need to purchase a special 0.45x26 tap to create the threads to receive the refill. I was only able to find the 1800730 at Staples.

The threads on a 1800730 refill are quite different and I'm not aware of any matching tap. The approach I took was to tightly wrap the refill with PTFE plumbers tape so that the shape of the treads transferred through the tape, and then apply thick CA to the outside of the tape. The CE adhered to the inside of the turned body, so when it cured it hardened to form crude female threads. So all I had to do was unscrew the refill, peel away the PTFE tape, and screw the refill back into those threads.

Another challenge was that Sharpie's dry out if left uncapped. The 1800730 refill comes with a small plastic cap, so it was necessary to design the turn a wooden cap that was designed so that the plastic cap for the refill could be glued into in such that it would always seal the refill when the turned cap was in place.

It was an interesting challenge, and I proved to myself that it was possible. As I recall, the refills are packaged in pairs, but the project wasn't interesting enough to bother using that second refill, and I think its still somewhere in my shop.

Another approach to this might be to turn a wooden sleeve to glue over the plastic body and cap of a standard Sharpie. You would have to remove the pocket clip from the cap, but that would be easy to do. That would be quite a bit of work for something that is fundamentally disposable.

Last edited:

hooked

Woodriver has/had a kit that holds a sharpie. I haven't tried it but was tempted to a while back. Woodcraft sold it but it seems out of stock.

egnald

Yes, Berea carries them (Hymark) but they show out of stock. There are older posts on the forum about them and complaints that they dry out quickly - Dave

BCnabe

Is that a kit for a Sharpie? Or any permanent marker?
I tried one a few years ago that I bought directly from Rizheng (penkitsmall.com). It's a nice kit but, as others mentioned, the sharpie dried out almost right away.

I just checked their website and noticed they now have "two nibs for fine point and extra fine point". I don't recall that on the kit I purchased, so maybe they've come up with a solution to getting a better seal on the tip of the marker.

KMCloonan

The approach I took was to tightly wrap the refill with PTFE plumbers tape so that the shape of the treads transferred through the tape, and then apply thick CA to the outside of the tape. The CE adhered to the inside of the turned body, so when it cured it hardened to form crude female threads. So all I had to do was unscrew the refill, peel away the PTFE tape, and screw the refill back into those threads.
Very inventive!

MTViper

I made a couple of the Hymark kits. The cap didn't fit tightly enough to keep the Sharpie from drying out. I think they have been discontinued for that reason.

DesertCanyon

I just saw that Speakeasy Pen Emporium will be putting kits for sharpies on sale sometime today. $20 for 4 kits plus bushings.

penicillin

I searched Speakeasy Pen Emporium and could not find any pen kits at all. Can someone post a link when the kits appear, which is supposed to happen later today?

DesertCanyon

I searched Speakeasy Pen Emporium and could not find any pen kits at all. Can someone post a link when the kits appear, which is supposed to happen later today?
They aren't up yet, but the website is: https://speakeasypen.com
They will be listed in the clearance section once they are up according to their posts in the Ladies who Lathe FB page and their own FB page.

penicillin

I rolled the dice and placed an order.

Don't expect to see me make one very soon - there are too many projects ahead of them in the queue right now. Perhaps early next year, after all the gifts and honey-dos are done.

penicillin

The four kits and bushings arrived in the mail this morning. I downloaded the instructions from the website. I won't have time to make one for a few months, so don't hold your breath. I just looked, and they are sold out.

Sharpie Pen Kits.JPG

penicillin

I knew nothing about Speakeasy Pen Emporium and Supply Co., other than the fact that they were very responsive. My order was shipped quickly. Well, this morning sent me a nice holiday card ... You can tell that they are a class act. Based on my recent experiences, I like and recommend them. :)
https://speakeasypen.com

Disclaimer: No affiliation, just a customer who placed an order and got it quickly.

Speakeasy Card Front.jpeg Speakeasy Card Inside.jpeg

Top Bottom