A "HUG(bie)E" Thank You!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

L1Truckie

I meandered down to Springtown yesterday to meet up with our fellow SWMO IAP member Hughbie. This was a first for me as Im brand new to turning and hadnt been to a get together or met anyone.

Hugh was a great host as he showed me all around town to the getting places and hooked me up with the things I needed. Of course I had a ton of questions and he answered them all. He was even gracious enough to show me his shop and the ways that he does things. Im forever indebted to him for his time that he gave me, his hospitality and teaching/showing me things in his shop that I have pondered over the last few weeks of reading the website. We had a good time and had alot of laughs.

One stop was at the The Wood Gallery in Springtown where I met Ray and Hayseed Boy (Larry). For those that havent met Hayseed. It is a must. He's funny and great to visit with. He showed me and Hugh how to blowout/split a Diamondwood blank into 2 equal parts!! The absolute finest clean break anyone has ever seen! LOL

If the rest of you all are good as these guys we by far have the best chapter out there! I cant wait to meet the rest you as well. (I will be the guy asking questions, not giving advice :) )

Hugh, thanks again! I cant thank you enough!!

Levi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Levi,
Sorry I missed out on the visit. But I am eager to have Larry teach me that dymondwood trick. I'm always eager to learn new things! :biggrin::biggrin:
Looking forward to meeting you in person.

hughbie

i have to add...........you can tell by the break he put in that one.....he is DEF the professional in the shop!
i mean, you could put the pieces (only 2) and to be honest....you wouldn't be able to tell where the break is.....that wasn't just a fluke.......he's done it before!
levi...you're welcome....cya soon

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

Hayseedboy

Well first in my defense say that a fluke is a fish http://www.fishingnj.org/profluke.htm which is a white fish very similar to flounder. Tasty either cooked or as raw sashimi.

As for break, when one is necessary I always feel it most important to make it a clean one. Though it has taken over a years practice now I must say with all modesty that I am quite proficient at it. All you have to do is pick the work piece that you want to use for a gift and drill very slowly and gently at 187 rpm. Just when you think you are being plenty gentle CRACK!

Levi it was a pleasure meeting you and other than your choice of tour guides (I realized the Amish were busy yesterday) I look forward to meeting you again at our first annual round-up super sizzlin' wood spinnin' 500 lap event in the spring.

lr

L1Truckie

ROFLMAO :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Will see ya'll there :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Edit: Quote from http://www.fishingnj.org/profluke.htm "These fish are easily recognizable because they are flattened from side to side, allowing them to inhabit their bottom-dwelling niche very successfully." Meaning there bellies are flat......so in fact you made two flukes???? ;) You may be on to something here!

Last edited:

hughbie

yea yea yea......a fluke is also the brand name for electrical volt meters.......the best....but anyway....
i can tell that you are much better at doing the break.....at least more proficient....but me not hearing you when it broke.......the entire neighborhood would have heard me with all the sailor-esk vocabulary......ya know what i mean...

MikeInMo

Sorry I missed the party last week.

I saw Larry practicing how split dymondwood a few days before that at Wood Gallery. He just didn't quite have the hang of it. He kept drilling holes all of the way through and ending up with a single piece of wood. He said he didn't feel good and was sweating like a person who was really hot (what were you thinking?) so I cut him some slack. It's good to see he figured it out. Practice makes perfect.

Top Bottom