A holiday weekend's work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

I took advantage of the long weekend to "Play" a bit instead of work on orders. These are the results:
1. A very classy pen made from imitation ivory resin and black acrylic. This was a new imitation ivory I got a few weeks ago and was anxious to try. It looks great, but is quite brittle, so I had to use acrylic for the parts that were threaded or took any substantial stress. I really love how this turned out. It has a nice shapely body, and feels great to use.

2. A chunky, curvy sort of pen made from a purple/blue swirled acrylic. There isn't anything really out of the ordinary about this one. I really love the shape, and it has a fancy clip. I often times will put a nice clip on a rather plain pen just for a neat effect.

3. A syringe filler in vintage "gray lizard" cellulose acetate. This is something I had been wanting to do for a long time: Use all vintage material (minus the black acrylic parts), use a unique filling system, and use a fancier nib. This is a small pen (as far as most customs go). The cap diameter is about 13.5mm, and the body is 11.5mm at the threads. The materials comes in a tube form, so I used black acrylic for the end pieces and the section. The clip is made from nickel silver, as is the cap band. In trying to stay true to tradition, the cap band was swaged on rather than tenoned on, which was something I had wanted to try out, and it worked beautifully. The nib is a Pelikan 205 nib.
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• mark2.jpg
    mark2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 291
  • mark.jpg
    mark.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 208
  • mark3.jpg
    mark3.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 225
  • mark4.jpg
    mark4.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 187
  • mark5.jpg
    mark5.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC_1018.jpg
    DSC_1018.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 226
  • erik.jpg
    erik.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 219
  • erik2.jpg
    erik2.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 187
  • erik3.jpg
    erik3.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC_1006.jpg
    DSC_1006.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 534
  • DSC_1001.jpg
    DSC_1001.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 554
  • graylizard.jpg
    graylizard.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 548
  • graylizard2.jpg
    graylizard2.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 537
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

Your work is always top notch! I like the first one the best. Awesome!
Would you mind telling where you got the alt ivory? It looks much better than I have gotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

More4dan

I'm amazed at your ability to make the intersection on the body disappear in the pattern of the grey lizard. I'm also digging the cap threads on your pens. All beautiful pens!

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

jalbert

Your work is always top notch! I like the first one the best. Awesome!
Would you mind telling where you got the alt ivory? It looks much better than I have gotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. The imitation ivory is from Vermont freehand. It is quite brittle, but much better quality, and not nearly as powdery as the "alternate ivory" polyresin (although from the smell, I'm pretty sure this is a polyresin too).

lhowell

Very well done! Especially on the cellulose acetate rod in maintaining not only the angle of the gray lizard pattern but also aligning each component's shades with one another!

OZturner

Outstanding Pens John.
Excellent Proportions and Profiles, love the Black with Ivory Cap, and the Ivory Body with Black Section & End Cap with Ivory Cabochon.
Terrific Blue/Purple Acrylic Pen
Gorgeous Gray Lizard Blank with Black Section, Finial and End Cap
Great Craftsmanship,
Congratulations,
Brian.

Last edited:

RobS

Simply outstanding. Every single one of them is well worth displaying on a desk and let the jealousy ensue.

Top Bottom