A hole

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

I have heard of this happening, but it hasn't happened to me until now. I turned an acrylic blank and while I was sanding, I noticed a hole. Now I am not the greatest turner, but I don't think I could screw up so bad that there is an approx. 1/32 hole right in the middle of the blank. So I'm blaming the manufacturer, Darn you for being Human. I don't even remember where it was from. You see I had to stop turning a few years ago and although I order new stuff to turn now that I am back, I am also working through a lot of old stuff too, I don't even know some times what is old and what is new (look for a bunch of bad photos of cigar pens coming, I had someone give me a bunch of them about 6 or 7 years ago). Anyway, I am going to put a little CA in my little hole right in the middle of my blank. I am wondering if that fix would be permanent or if there is a possibility that it may pop out in the future?
Thanx
Curt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

I've never had that happen before with acrylic, just wood. I've filled voids and holes in wood blanks with both thick CA and epoxy. If it were me, I think I'd use epoxy to fill a hole in an acrylic blank, colored with a similar color to help hide the repair.

had it happen to me. Found out it is caused by turning the blank at to high a speed and letting it get too hot. If there is a bubble in the blank, when it gets hot enough, it surfaces and you get your hole.. Turn slower and let the blank cool down occasionally and the problem disappears.

CREID

had it happen to me. Found out it is caused by turning the blank at to high a speed and letting it get too hot. If there is a bubble in the blank, when it gets hot enough, it surfaces and you get your hole.. Turn slower and let the blank cool down occasionally and the problem disappears.
Actually, I was turning slower than normal because I was too lazy to change the belt. I am pretty it was just a very small bubble suspended in the acrylic. I am sure it happens every once in a while. It isn't going on a pen that is for anybody, so it really isn't a big deal. I will just fill it and sand it down. I could turn it some more but I like the radius of the barrel where it is. But thanks for the advice.
Curt

CREID

I've never had that happen before with acrylic, just wood. I've filled voids and holes in wood blanks with both thick CA and epoxy. If it were me, I think I'd use epoxy to fill a hole in an acrylic blank, colored with a similar color to help hide the repair.
I could use epoxy, I was thinking that it might be better for the repair anyway. As far coloring it, I don't think this time it would be necessary, for the blank is mostly Black with little white chips in it. The epoxy or CA would just blend in with the black in such a small hole. But I think I will take your advice and use epoxy.
Thanx
Curt

pianomanpj

I can successfully hide small air bubbles simply by filling it with CA. I don't use accelerator in such an case since I want to avoid any potential blooming. I'll first apply a layer or two of thin CA for fill irregular voids and cracks, and then follow with medium CA if I need to build thickness. This technique works well with translucent blanks; I have limited experience applying this procedure to opaque blanks, although I try to use a little sanding dust from he blank in the hole first when I do. I create the sanding dust with the cut-off from the blank or from the shavings the dust collector didn't pick up.

Skie_M

CA (cyano-acrylate) forms an acrylic when it cures. It sticks quite well to itself, so there won't be any danger of it "popping out" after it literally welds itself into that blank. You probably do want to apply some coloring to match your blank, if applicable ... having a see-through repair patch on an opaque material is just a little too obvious.

qquake

I think if it were me, whether using CA or epoxy, I'd try to clean the hole first with denatured alcohol or some such. Not a solvent that might melt the acrylic. Especially if you used a liquid polishing compound.

pianomanpj

I think if it were me, whether using CA or epoxy, I'd try to clean the hole first with denatured alcohol or some such. Not a solvent that might melt the acrylic. Especially if you used a liquid polishing compound.

If anything, I would use compressed air. Don't want to run the risk of introducing contaminants or residue of any kind.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
All the comments are good.

One addition, you did NOT create a bubble in commercial acrylic---it was there, you exposed it. Your lathe speed had NOTHING to do with it.

I have "fixed" them with CA, I have also used epoxy. The advantage of epoxy is you can color it (I use acrylic paint). For "clear casts", CA is a great answer. But it does not accept coloration.

Hope this helps,
Ed

Charlie_W

Also, if using epoxy, use a clear drying epoxy...one that is not yellowish.

First choice is just CA as mentioned. A toothpick or pin can help make sure you don't trap air in the hole.

CREID

All the comments are good.

One addition, you did NOT create a bubble in commercial acrylic---it was there, you exposed it. Your lathe speed had NOTHING to do with it.

I have "fixed" them with CA, I have also used epoxy. The advantage of epoxy is you can color it (I use acrylic paint). For "clear casts", CA is a great answer. But it does not accept coloration.

Hope this helps,
Ed
I am well aware of the fact that the whole was already there, someone just mentioned lathe speed and I commented I wasn't turning at that fast of speed, and I always wet sand acrylics and at a slow speed. I understand that in manufacturing things like bubbles happen. It is for a personal pen, one of the cigar kits that are probably close to 10 years old and not kept in an ideal environment (so I wouldn't want to give it to someone or sell it). The hole is really small and as for coloring, it is opaque black and glue alone will do, you will never see it, not even with my new magnifying glass I made :). Thanks for your input though, I have been lurking and posting around here for years and have learned to respect your advice.
Thanx
Curt

CREID

Thanks for all your advice, it is greatly appreciated. By the next time I log on it will be finished.
Curt

Ambidex

What Ed said...even slightly tinted filler is better than clear...and yes, as a big fan of acrylics I have run into this in the past..but only 3-4 times in 15 years...can't wait to see the finished product:biggrin:

CREID

Last edited:

Skie_M

I can see why you'ld have a small void in a blank like that ....

The white part is all hard small pieces and offcuts ... solid ... it is then cast inside the black acrylic, and the hard pieces can trap air under them. Even with a pressure pot and vibration, the best acrylic blank casters can have issues with that. Stirring can help a little, but even so ... that's a difficult one.

Top Bottom