A friendly reminder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

BBQ grill safety. Mine had a good grease fire going tonight. Was grilling 2 thick 1lb New York strips(oh baby) at 500degrees and indirect heat...Steaks not right above burners. I walked away for a minute and came back to a grill on fire. The grease drippings ignited and got the rest of the grill going as I have not cleaned the pan under the burners for a few months. Under the flames was the propane tank. I came real close to using an extinguisher however being the cheapskate I am and the steaks being prime I hesitated. Fire went out..steaks were great, grill did not explode, house did not catch fire...the risk of serious injury or you know did not happen.

So... keep your grill clean. I do use a gas sniffer after connecting a new tank. Leaks can be deadly. Most of us are safety oriented. Extend that to your outdoor cooking. Please be careful.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

I keep a spray bottle of water near the grill (since I nearly lit up the deck several years ago). A few quick sprays up that opening in the back will usually knock the flame down pretty quick. I don't recall the number, but water expands a LOT when it turns to steam.

I was still very active on our volunteer fire department the night I lit ours up. Called our fire chief (lives across from the station):
Me "you got a few minutes?"
Chief "sure, what do you need?"
Me "the grass truck"
Chief "what's burning?"
Me "grill on the deck"
Chief "be right there. Thanks for not calling this one in."

It was good for laughs for far too long!!
earl

Herb G

I try to remember to clean my grill mid-way thru the grilling season.
We eat a lot of chicken and it's pretty greasy when you grill it.

We have a pull out drip tray under the grill, but it sticks to the inside of the grill sometimes. That's when I have to take the grill apart & scrape the inside really well with a putty knife to get the gunk out.

I always keep a spray bottle of fresh water ready in case of flare ups.
A few pumps will tame the biggest flames.

Glad all turned out well, my friend.
:cool:

randyrls

Yep; Several years ago a development near me. People left grill on while eating inside. Grill burned, caught the house on fire. Fire dept discovered that the water pressure wasn't high enough to supply large hoses. House completely gone by the time they brought pumper trucks from surrounding areas. $350,000 gone, just like that.:frown:

Safety is free; use it to excess --- Cindy Drozda

Gary Beasley

Grease can do a job by itself. Went to a gathering where they had some small grills that looked like upside down traffic cones. Wadded newspaper went inside under the grate, steak on top and the paper lit. By the time the paper burned off the steak was dripping fat that was lighting up and taking over the job cooking the steak.

WriteON

Water is taboo. Baking soda is the most effective form of fire extinguisher; it quickly cuts off the oxygen supply to the flame. Keep a box or 2 in or near your grill station, as well as a fire extinguisher. Salt will also work in smothering a flame. DO NOT use flour, or water ever when you need to put out a grease fire.

sbwertz

So... keep your grill clean. I do use a gas sniffer after connecting a new tank. Leaks can be deadly. Most of us are safety oriented. Extend that to your outdoor cooking. Please be careful.

I turn the gas off at the tank every time I use it. I don't trust the valves in the grill.

chartle

I don't grill I smoke with a PID (proportional–integral–derivative) controlled COS (Cheap Offset Smoker) little too cold right now to keep good temps for 10 hours. :)

I use the PID for perfect Stabilizing temps.

WriteON

I turn the gas off at the tank every time I use it. I don't trust the valves in the grill.

Agreed. Turning off the valve is a must do. And grills blow over from stormy weather.

WriteON

I bought this on Amazon..... was priced from $43 to over $100. I'm not a fan of soap bubble testing. There is no substitute for a meter.

Attachments

• 417Rup+d7BL._AC_US218_.jpg
    417Rup+d7BL._AC_US218_.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 73
Top Bottom