A friend wanted a pink letter opener...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TimS124

TimS124

I'd previously made a pink coral Tru Stone seam ripper for her which she's been very happen with...oh yeah, and it needed to be ready tonight to send first thing in the morning with a mutual friend (she lives about 300 miles away and having the friend bring it with them on a visit is cooler than snail mailing it).

I started fulfilling this request by trying to round up another piece of the same Tru Stone...whew, still had one piece on hand!

OK, next, which letter opener kits do I have on hand? Hmmmm....gold...nope, just doesn't look right with pink...keep looking! Finally found some "gun metal" colored letter opener kits in a box....looks great with antler but didn't look right with pink coral. This is a job for chrome!

Hit the road to my local Woodcraft and the only chrome letter opener kit they stock is too fancy (looks excessively bling-ish which was all wrong for this friend).

Went home grumpy and frustrated that I'd miss the chance to promptly fulfill the friend's request. Started poking around on a few of my favorite vendor sites to see who had the right chrome package...when I spotted a cool pink & black blank...wait a minute...I think I have some of those blanks on hand!

Dug through my receipts and sure enough, somewhere in my shop I allegedly have five of those (maybe 4 as I probably already used at least one and only ordered 5 way back when).

Ah, that should go well with the dark gun metal kit!

Started laying out the parts and noticed the default tube size that comes with the kit was pretty short. This friend is older and a more generous handle would probably be much more comfortable and a bit easier to use...fortunately, I also had a stash of replacement tubes in 10inch lengths!

I drilled the blank to the full depth of the flutes on my Colt parabolic 7mm bit (the bit is nearly six inches long and the flutes are a little short of 5" long). Oh yeah, this will make a proper sized handle!

I didn't like the metal plug for the top of the letter opener kit so I pulled out "The Grabber" mandrel I'd purchased a while back from Penn State. I'd used it only once before and really like the results it allows (but hadn't made anything that would work with it in a while). Ironically, that prior project also used a pink blank.

Three views of the result of all this are are shown in the enclosed photo. The handle material was one of Woodturningz's "Pink Zebra" blanks from their "Genesis' line. The letter opener kit is also from Woodturningz. Since I had to rush to get it handed off in time, I only paused long enough to grab a couple quick phone photos.

I'm hoping she'll be as pleased with this as she has been with the Pink Coral Tru Stone seam ripper...after the initial shock wears off as the Pink Zebra blank has a lot more figure going on! :)

Attachments

• Pink & Black letter opener - Feb 7, 2015.jpg
    Pink & Black letter opener - Feb 7, 2015.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 415
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Like the look from using the longer handle, seems it would make more sense anyway to be longer..... I know I don't like short stubby handles on anything.

Scott (sure she'll like...I do) B

TimS124

I hadn't noticed how short the kit's handle were prior to the pink & black version because the antler handle on the one I'd made previously required an even shorter tube. I just needed enough tube for the press-in blade connector to fit...

Here's a quick photo of that earlier letter opener:

Attachments

• Letter Opener - Nov 2013-2.jpg
    Letter Opener - Nov 2013-2.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 180

magpens

Nice going ! .... gonna hafta get me one of those "grabber" mandrels ... just in case I might need it sometime !!

TimS124

Having now used the Grabber for a few projects, and having changed it back and forth a couple times from 7mm to 8mm to 7mm, I think I'll simply order a second one and keep one set for 7mm and the other set for 8mm.

Or, maybe try a different brand/style (again with the intent of keeping each focused on a specific size). It's the pen turner's equivalent of changing routers instead of router bits... :biggrin:

Top Bottom