A Fountain pen in Pebbles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chriscb

Afternoon all,
Been spending an inordinate amount of time in the workshop developing a style of pen that I'm happy with. This is the current iteration.

Be harsh, be critical, be gushing but above all be honest with critiques please. After all, that's the way to improve.

The main body is Minerva Pebble with Simplicity Ivory accents. The nib is a Bock #5 (F). Capped length is 142 mm, uncapped 132mm.

Thanks,
Chriscb

Attachments

• 220111_kitless 01 _0012_Layer 2.jpg
    220111_kitless 01 _0012_Layer 2.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 224
  • 220111_kitless 01 _0013_Layer 1.jpg
    220111_kitless 01 _0013_Layer 1.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 223
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Your efforts paid off wonderfully. I love the profile and color combination. I suspect this was a 'skill test' to be able to turn it successfully.

Well done and thanks for sharing. 👏 👏 👏

jttheclockman

Looks like a lot of thought and work went into that gem. It came out well from what we see here. Like the blank and the sleekness of the design stands out. Nothing but praise here.

Chriscb

Excellent. Did you make the blank? If so, a recipe is most welcome.
Afternoon,
Thanks for the comment. The blank was bought from Beaufort Ink (beaufortink.co.uk) - it's made by Minerva. It's not that obvious in the images but by reflected light the blank shimmers and shines. It's a great material to work with.

Regards,
Chriscb

gbpens

You are definitely on target with style; attractive, light and well balanced. Topping it off, is a difficult material to work with. Great job.

Fred Bruche

The body threads and the body section as difficult to evaluate in the pictures but overall it looks really nice. I have some of these blanks ordered directly from Beaufort, done that several times with various items, never had any issue other than it takes maybe up to 10 days to reach me (@Woodchipper). Haven't used them yet, my original idea was to pair them with bright accents (red/orange or turquoise) but I like what you did here.

sorcerertd

Well, if you want critical, it looks like there are some light radial scratches. Full disclosure: I'm just jealous of your fine craftsmanship. That's a gorgeous pen! The blank looks like it would pair well with quite a few options for end caps, but I love the ivory color you used.

Chriscb

The body threads and the body section as difficult to evaluate in the pictures but overall it looks really nice. I have some of these blanks ordered directly from Beaufort, done that several times with various items, never had any issue other than it takes maybe up to 10 days to reach me (@Woodchipper). Haven't used them yet, my original idea was to pair them with bright accents (red/orange or turquoise) but I like what you did here.
Morning Fred,
Thanks for the feedback. I used M13 x 1 to create the cap/barrel threads - I've settled on 3 threads as being enough to prevent the cap from loosening off and it taking for ever to unscrew. That's the down side I guess of single start.

Just wandered over to your instagram page - love your pen work - the third prototype (not wood!) you show is quite stunning, as is the combination of wood and acrylic in the other two. The matching white accents work quite well. Well done to you.

Regards,
Chriscb

Chriscb

Well, if you want critical, it looks like there are some light radial scratches. Full disclosure: I'm just jealous of your fine craftsmanship. That's a gorgeous pen! The blank looks like it would pair well with quite a few options for end caps, but I love the ivory color you used.
Yep - that's what I want - good feed back. I guess one great advantage of these pens it that one can remount them on a mandrel and repolish to resolve the radial lines. My next task - after a few more pens!

Chriscb

Top Bottom