A few whisky stave shaving sets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

3 of 5 on their way to their new home. Unfortunately I ordered the wrong size knots form Ernie and I'll have to track down 2 more 20mm knots but I had 3 on hand to finish these out.

Finished in tru-oil with a wax top coat. The staves were cut at a 30-degree angle to get the rays of the white oak and burned in the grain to finish it off.

Attachments

• IMG_9104_lzn.jpg
    IMG_9104_lzn.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_9105_lzn.jpg
    IMG_9105_lzn.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_9106_lzn.jpg
    IMG_9106_lzn.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 226
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

Nice razors.

How do you find the finish on them holding up when exposed to water? Do you give your customers special instructions about the care of wood shaving sets?

Carl Fisher

There is a reason white oak is chosen for liquor casks, boat building, historic battle ships, etc... I won't use wood for a shaving set that is not tolerant to the environment they will be used in so no special care is required.

The customer I make these for to resell (same who provides me all of the barrel wood) has used one in his shower for close to 2 years now and it still looks great from what I understand.

Carl Fisher

As for the finish, I spent a lot of research talking with some well respected finishing guys in the furniture business and what we settled on was a good solid performing finish that accentuates the color and gives a little sheen but really doesn't provide any more protection than the wood itself is capable of.

Top Bottom