A few that I recently made.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

The wooden ones are curly maple dyed with Transtint. The other is Rhinoplatic.

Image (2).jpegImage (3).jpegImage.jpegImage4.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

derekdd

Love it.

I just received some dyes from Craft Supply. Waiting on some figured maple blanks and then I'll do some experimenting.

I hope mine come out as nicely as yours. Do you sand at after applying the dye? I'm wondering if applying the dye raises the grain.

TonyL

Thank you all.

After turning, I sand to 1500 to 2000 grit (dry of course), then clean off with DNA. Wait a few minutes, then apply the dye to the desired tone/darkness.
I use a 50/50 dye to DNA solution which is a much higher dye concentration than recommended for Transtint. I wait about 5 minutes between coats but get the blanks pretty warm when applying the dye to hasten drying time. I then wait a full 24 hours. Followed by my usual CA routine. I don't apply much pressure to the CA. It is normal for some dye to come off for the first 2 or 3 coats of CA. I let the CA sit/spin for about 2 minutes before applying any accelerator. In fact, sometimes, I let the first few coats of CA cure without accelerator. I don't want the heat from the reaction to "uncure" the dye. I apply the dye at 200 rpms, then bring it up to 400 as it is drying. After my last coat of CA, I sand as usual 320 forward........Enjoy!

derekdd

Thank you all.

After turning, I sand to 1500 to 2000 grit (dry of course), then clean off with DNA. Wait a few minutes, then apply the dye to the desired tone/darkness.
I use a 50/50 dye to DNA solution which is a much higher dye concentration than recommended for Transtint. I wait about 5 minutes between coats but get the blanks pretty warm when applying the dye to hasten drying time. I then wait a full 24 hours. Followed by my usual CA routine. I don't apply much pressure to the CA. It is normal for some dye to come off for the first 2 or 3 coats of CA. I let the CA sit/spin for about 2 minutes before applying any accelerator. In fact, sometimes, I let the first few coats of CA cure without accelerator. I don't want the heat from the reaction to "uncure" the dye. I apply the dye at 200 rpms, then bring it up to 400 as it is drying. After my last coat of CA, I sand as usual 320 forward........Enjoy!
Thanks, Tony!

Top Bottom