A Few Recent Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dbriski

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbriski

This is my first post here is show off your pens. Here is a recent group of 3 pens that I did.

20061027214526_Paduak%202%20zebras.jpg

Starting from the left. Paduak Slimline, Zebrawood slimline with Blackwood centerband, and Zebrawood slimline with Paduak Centerband.

Let me know what you guys think. I appreciate any help.

Thanks
David

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I'm not crazy about the shapes, but the fit and finish look very good on all three. The centerbands provide a nice color contrast. BTW, what's the CB material on the Padauk pen? Also, what finish did you use?

dbriski

Thanks for the input, yeah I didn't really like the Zebrawood with the Paduak centerband either (I blew up 3 darker centerbands and thats what I had on hand). The Centerband of the Paduak pen is actuall the stock centerband from the Zebrawood/Paduak pen (black enamel). I used CA/BLO finish on the two Zebrawood pens toped with Carnuba. The Paduak was my test pen for the Plexi Finish, it was quite troublesome, still havn't figured out my application technique but I love the way it looks and feels after its finished (for the non-wood texture that is).

falcn63

I'm kinda new to pen turning and was wondering if you could tell me or point me to a site that describes how you go about making those cool centerbands? Thanks.

emackrell

Cool pens David, I really like the zebrawood. The far right pen is especially pleasing (I think its centerband is better proportioned than the one on the center pen, which seems a bit too big to me). And the dark grain in the padauk band picks up the dark grain in the body of the pen which makes it a strong combination. Great work!

Falcn63/Greg, here's a link to a great article on turning centerbands:

http://www.penturners.org/content/aaw-winter03-36-41pens.pdf

Cheers Eileen [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom