A few pepper mills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

I have 8 total to make, but these are the first two with finish applied and assembled.

The solid one is flame box elder. The segmented one is 9 pen blanks :biggrin:

Panga panga, silver maple, mahogany and I believe red heart.

Attachments

• IMG_9098_lzn.jpg
    IMG_9098_lzn.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_9099_lzn.jpg
    IMG_9099_lzn.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 279
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

You can adjust the grind.

They are a touch top heavy, but they don't seem to just topple over. I'll have to use one for a bit to get a good feel for it.

paintspill

i made one of these for myself. they are definitely top heavy. made mine about the same size and knock it over all the time. only other thing i wasn't crazy about it the screws in the top are really tiny and i tore one out. i'm going to pull the top and epoxy it back in.

Dan Masshardt

i made one of these for myself. they are definitely top heavy. made mine about the same size and knock it over all the time. only other thing i wasn't crazy about it the screws in the top are really tiny and i tore one out. i'm going to pull the top and epoxy it back in.

Would it be better to use a shorter blank to avoid the top heavy? Probably dense wood would help too

Carl Fisher

Yes. It was 9 1" square blanks that were glued up into a block. Then cut and reglued with each segment twisted.

Just like segmenting a pen, only larger and easier to work with. All glued with Titebond II

I have 12 total at home waiting to go with us to a show this weekend. 4 are segmented and the rest are solid wood.

Carl Fisher

Used the 1" "jam" chuck that they call out in the instructions. Basically it's an expanding rubber drum like they use on the drum sanding setup for drill presses. If I had known that I could have saved myself a few dollars.

Attachments

• IMG_9100_lzn.jpg
    IMG_9100_lzn.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_9102_lzn.jpg
    IMG_9102_lzn.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 163
Top Bottom